Chalice Fragging Underwater

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have never fragged a chalice before, but I have one that is in need as it is slowly creeping towards some acans. Unfortunately it has attached and is on a rock I would prefer not to take out. Any recommendations on chalice fragging underwater? I'm entirely new to fragging at all so not even sure the first step. The chalice just recently attached to the rock, before that i was able to move it in and out. I'm hoping that maybe when I frag it, the main part will separate from the rock and I can move it entirely to an acan free area, or to the new tank I'm hoping to set up :). Either way, just trying to get an idea so I don't lose the the chalice entirely. Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you can frag it underwater. How is the coral situated? Does it have a rim hanging over the rock?

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is actually in the middle of a branch like rock. There is a rim hanging over on one side, with two eyes. The other edges are wrapped along the branches. Ideally I would like to free the disk (my original frag) so I can place it elsewhere. If I can get frags from what's around it, that would be a plus. I just don't want to lose my original "mother" frag. I also can't risk moving the rock since its a base.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would probably help a lot with getting suggestions.

CJ

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep attach a pic. You could get a small masonry blade or even a hack saw blade and try shave it off. Unfortunately I'm pulling at straws until I see the coral placement.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people successfully using chisels and bone cutters underwater. Remember how these guys are "fragged" in nature: flying rocks and hurricanes 1smile1

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have been more specific...as in easily underwater in my tank with minimal damage :). Obviously it can be done underwater.

I'll post some pics when I can get home and take some.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the flexible attachment for a dremel? Put it on a battery powered dremel and frag away? It may not last very long but could work. I don't know about lubricants though

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lubricant is the problem with the dremel attachment. Already was contemplating that one. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Plus, I have a nano, so my space is limited. Here are some pics. I'm sure you're all going to tell me it is an easy job, but I not a fragger and very cautious when working on things in the tank. You can kind of see where the original disk was and ideally, I would be fine with just freeing that and hopefully getting a frag or two out of it. I'm hoping to start another tank and will probably be putting chalices in there. Keeping my main colony (if you can call it that) is my priority. Clearly this was not a final destination for this coral, as you can see it is nearing its acan neighbor, but it got stuck on right as I was going to move it, like within the last month or so.
IMG_6131.jpg
IMG_6130.jpg
IMG_6129.JPG

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing anything, my initial thought was some fine point bone cutters and cut around until it's free or perhaps even a scalpel or razor blade. I have no idea though, so those may be bad ideas. I just don't want to lose it all or do harm to the tank. I heard chalices can be slimy so not sure if that can affect the other corals. Sounds like I will probably also want to dip after its fragged. Thanks for any advice.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slime it puts off is just a sign its aggrevated and not really harmful to other corals. Dipping is a must after, i would suggest Coral RX as it will help "heal" it so to speak. Being that your tank is a nano it doesnt appear you have room to work, even with smaller tools...I hate to suggest it but rearranging your tank may be the best option for a postive outcome. At least you can move the whole colony to a new "safer" location or pull the rock out to frag some of the pieces. Good luck either way.

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on a piece of tonga branch, so couldnt you just get some big side cutters/wire cutters and take the piece of branch that its on?

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on a piece of tonga branch, so couldnt you just get some big side cutters/wire cutters and take the piece of branch that its on?

I would have to cut multiple branches to do it that way. The center is actually not attached to anything, but the plug it came on. The circle you can kind of see is the frag plug in between some rocks. One or some of the edges are actually what is attached. That's why I was thinking I would just cut around the plug and at least be able to remove most of the coral. If I can get some frags off of what I cut off then I would take it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I gave it a shot and sort of had success. I was able to get the main portion of my colony out and possibly one other frag. It wasn't clean, but it worked and hopefully they'll make it. Combination of chisel and razor. There was not much room on one of the sides which made it more difficult than I had expected. Fingers crossed that I don't lose it. Thanks for the feedback.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back