Can I Frag INSIDE the Aquarium?

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Stylophora and Green Bali Slimer that have grown together and are now touching. I’m getting tissue loss on the slimer so I want to frag what I can before I lose it.

The rock is all connected so I can remove it. Is it safe to frag INSIDE the aquarium?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Stylophora and Green Bali Slimer that have grown together and are now touching. I’m getting tissue loss on the slimer so I want to frag what I can before I lose it.

The rock is all connected so I can remove it. Is it safe to frag INSIDE the aquarium?
The short answer is, yeah you should be fine. I break off chunks off SPS all the time on purpose and on accident.

I am sure there are some corals that are better fragged outside of the tank for one reason or another, but for the SPS you mentioned it should be fine.

Last edited:

Barrett T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is, yeah you should be fine. I break of chunks off SPS all the time on purpose and on accident.

I am sure there are some corals that are better fragged outside of the tank for one reason or another, but for the SPS you mentioned it should be fine.
Not exactly the same, but i used to do this with soft corals all the time and never had problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back