Chalice is losing flesh in one area

HaWrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, ive had this chalice for a few months now and it has been doing very well. its grown a bit since i got it and usually has its feeders out at night. nothing has changed in my water parameters (alk-162ppm, ca-420, SA-1.026, mg-1300, temp-76) a few days ago i noticed that the chalice had a bit of flesh missing from one spot. it got a little bit worse then improved slightly and now it receded a bit more today while i was at work. none of the other corals in my tank are having any issues. i have another chalice frag right next to this one that is doing fine.

ive read that it may be other corals stinging it, too much flow or light, too little magnesium and various other things but i am not sure what my issue is here. i have not taken it out to dip it yet as i didnt think it looked that bad yet but if it gets worse i will dip it for sure. it does have spaghetti worms on it and i have seen a very small crab that was living in the rock its on. i dont know what kind of crab it is i may have a picture somewhere i will look.

so please reef2reef if you have any advice or suggestions as to what my issue may be feel free to chime in!
_DSC2690.JPG _DSC2691.JPG _DSC2692.JPG

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little coral down on the rock in front of the damaged part of the Chalice, can't think what it is called sorry.
You may find sweeper tentacles from that are stinging the Chalice after lights out.

OP
OP
H

HaWrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good call i didnt think about the little coral on the rock. im not sure what it is either i thought it may be another small chalice but im not sure. i see it extending feeder tentacles at night, i havnt seen any long sweepers, but they wouldnt need to be long it is so close being attached to the same rock. i will try and cut the rock so i can save both of them. hopefully the chalice will start to recover if this was the issue!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it looks like something is stinging it. Move it to a spot where it can be in its own to heal. You should see an improvement pretty quickly

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back