Chalice Show-Off Thread!!!

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Miami hurricane that is 5" across. Also have a Tyree Aspera that is 6" across. It would have been twice as large or more if my Moorish Idol didn't decide to dine on it. Have that Aspera for 9 years.
I will try to take a pic when I get the chance.

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in a different time zone Syn. Here is the miami hurricane and the aspera. Also forgot about this green one it's 6" across. This piece refuses to die. LOL . It has bleached and recededthree times on me in a span of 5 years. WWC sells this as a toxic green chalice. I ran out of space and placed this at he bottom of the tank. It would be more green if it gets more light.
IMG_8032.JPG IMG_8055.JPG IMG_8050.JPG IMG_7059.JPG

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed both my Tyree neon toadstool and Japanese green toadstool are closed up. Guess they are growing again.

srpsycho11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great Chalice pieces in these posts & many we just don't see in Oz :(
One question if I may tho, everyone seems to have frags & very few full or large colony's are in here, are there any 6" or larger pieces around? Or as soon as the frags grow to a decent size they get cut up again?

Great post Synodontis. I like so many others love getting and showing off new frags but there is something about seeing a large coral.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are in a different time zone Syn. Here is the miami hurricane and the aspera. Also forgot about this green one it's 6" across. This piece refuses to die. LOL . It has bleached and recededthree times on me in a span of 5 years. WWC sells this as a toxic green chalice. I ran out of space and placed this at he bottom of the tank. It would be more green if it gets more light.
Those are very nice!

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are some great pieces mate! Love that hurricane.
We have the same green chalice, they are very tuff lol. In the tank change over I never realised a 500w heater was resting on top of it! Taken a few months but it has finally healed over again. We also have the same green but on a red base. I'll find a pic.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great Chalice pieces in these posts & many we just don't see in Oz :(
One question if I may tho, everyone seems to have frags & very few full or large colony's are in here, are there any 6" or larger pieces around? Or as soon as the frags grow to a decent size they get cut up again?
I don't frag mine until they start growing over each other. I miss out on recouping my investment, but that's not why I keep corals. All old school chalices, left to right : Bazooka Joe, MyMiami, my purple rim chalice, Bubblegum Monster, Purple Erkle

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job on letting these grow out! How long has it taken and how big are they?

I don't frag mine until they start growing over each other. I miss out on recouping my investment, but that's not why I keep corals. All old school chalices, left to right : Bazooka Joe, MyMiami, my purple rim chalice, Bubblegum Monster, Purple Erkle

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on letting these grow out! How long has it taken and how big are they?

Thanks! The Bubblegum Monster, My Miami, and Purple Rim chalice needed to be fragged after 2 years. Bazooka Joe and Purple Erkle I have never fragged. Bazooka Joe I have had as long as the rest, Purple Erkle was picked up later. They are all about 2.5-3 inches in diameter right now, after they get a little over 3 inches they start growing over each other so I get the band saw out and take an inch off and let them grow again. I don't have a whole lot of floor space available and as the tank is really SPS dominated & I don't want to let them take over the rockwork.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%

Back