Chalice

Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a chalice in my tank. Its about 6 inches by 6 inches, and green with a little blue. I just picked it up at a frag show on Saturday.

It looks to be sending out tentacles when I feed. That made me think they were sending out some sort of feeding tentacles. Some were long - maybe 6 to 8 inches.

However, the tentacles disconnected from the Chalice, and floated all over the tank. Some landed on other corals, others were caught up in my koko worms. So far no corals seem to have been harmed. In fact, the koko worms didn't even retract when they came into touch with the tentacles.

I'm wondering whether these tentacles are harmful (sweeper tentacles?), or nothing to worry about.

Thanks

swampy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on slim. When corals get stressed they put on a protective coat of slime then release it later. The slime usually doesn't hurt anything else. Is these were feeding tentacles they corals they touched would be fried.

OP
OP
D

Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was not good for me to keep moving it around to areas where it was hard for it to reach the other corals?

Why do they seem to come out when it is feeding?

YOu guys feel pretty certain that I am fine to allow it to slime the tank?

How long will it slime the tank for?

Thanks

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it shouldnt do it for long, just when it is stressed... ie handled, out of the water, poked by other corals etc....
I find 6" feeding tentacles to be very sizeable for a chalice... but then again I've never been much of a chalice person so I dont really stare at them @night

OP
OP
D

Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alex. No tentacles today. Once I finally left it alone.

Back