Chalk bass going after new tail spot blenny

daveg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month or so ago I purchased a very small tail spot and tried to add him to my tank and as soon as my chalk bass who is a decent size noticed him he went after him and the blenny jumped into the back chambers so I removed him and kept him in a separate small tank temporarily so that he could get a little bigger. Well today I added the blenny and again the chalk bass went at him and the blenny jumped out (had the cover on but he fit through the hole and this time landed on the floor, so I put him back in right away. I covered the top better now to keep him from jumping but I’m concerned that this will continue with the chalk bass going after him.

the chalk bass seems to be a very peaceful fish so not sure why he’s doing that, I’m guessing he thinks he’s food? The blenny isn’t that small anymore so doesn’t seem like he would fit inside the chalk basses mouth.

any one have any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Very stressful

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove a chalk bass a few years ago as it went after any new fish additions once it had settled for a few months.

OP
OP
D

daveg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove a chalk bass a few years ago as it went after any new fish additions once it had settled for a few months.
Oh wow wish I would have knew that .. all my research on the chalk bass was that he was a very peaceful fish ‍♂️Very crappy situation feel bad for that blenny he must be traumatized

OP
OP
D

daveg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of trying to remove the chalk bass for a while keep him in a qt tank then put him back in...do you think that would work?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of trying to remove the chalk bass for a while keep him in a qt tank then put him back in...do you think that would work?

It is worth a try, mine is a very peaceful tank so I just took it back to the lfs.

OP
OP
D

daveg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I decided to put a tank divider in for now then I’ll remove it in a couple weeks see if it helps the situation

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back