Changed salt mix

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days aI added some dry rock to help stabilize my pH. It was swinging from 8.1 to 8.6.

needed salt mix and had to use a different brand.

My leathers - and Xenia - are MAD. my Sinularia is laying down, the Colt is closed up, and the Xenia looks anorexic.

All other corals (frogspawn, hammer, Aussie acan, some Favia, and Zoas) are fine. Fish are happy.

pH is hanging around 8.2 with little fluctuation now. dK 9. Calc > 500. No nitrites. SG 33.7. Nitrates about 20 (strip test) Skimmer is suddenly spitting out micro bubbles. Aside from dK (up from 8) and ph, this is normal for my usually very happy reef.

thoughts? Salt mix not to the leathers liking? Rock was dry reef rock, but I added some last week too and it didn’t cause any reaction.

I’m trying to be patient. I know they periodically close up and do weird things but I did change something....

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the pandemic, finding salt is a huge problem. I use trop marin Pro. I went to the biggest shop im NJ the other day and they said they have no idea when they will be resupplied. The salt comes from Germany. If you cant get the exact salt, try to get atleast the same brand. Do reguler h20 changes.

Upvote 0

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes typically cause a pH change and quick reduction in nutrients. Xenia don't like either.

Its not the salt mix.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week update:
  • The Xenia colony has crashed and is most definitely dead.
  • Two large branches of Sinularia showed some kind of necrosis; I found a widening wound in its stalk. I fragged both yesterday above the necrosis. Frags remain closed but not retracted and are maintaining color.
  • The other two large branches of Sinularia remain slumped over, polyps closed but not retracted, and are producing mucus. They are also maintaining color.
  • The cauliflower colt continues to hang listlessly in the water. Color is good, polyps are closed but visible. No signs of necrosis anywhere. Not producing mucus. Just ... hanging there.
  • A toadstool that has long struggled to survive has failed. RIP toadie.
  • A glove polyp colony appears to be struggling, too. Polyps are closed, but visible.
I've managed to retune the skimmer and the microbubble issue has been eliminated.

Meanwhile, I've discovered no less than three distinct colonies of pineapple sponges (hitchhikers, no doubt) and am seeing pink coralline algae emerge in various spots across the reef. Stomatella (some more hitchhikers) continue to reproduce faster than I can count them - I've got white ones and black ones. Two new branches on my frogspawn are beginning to be clearly visible, and my favite colony is expanding rapidly. My Ritteri, sebae, and rock flower nems are doing great. No signs of stress at all. I have three thriving colonies of zoas that expand their territory almost daily.

I haven't made any changes to dosing or additives, trying to keep things stable. I have no idea what's going on. Maybe some warfare? Every coral is properly distanced based on their aggressiveness, so I'm not sure how that could happen.

At this point, it seems to be a waiting game. If the colt starts to decline I may frag a branch or two and see if they'll take elsewhere. Same with the remaining sinularia. I just hate that it's so hard to find a cause sometimes and either address it or at least not repeat it.

I you think of something I've missed, suggest away. I'm always home and the tank is in my office, so I can pretty much check on anything, anytime.

Thanks everyone! Even if I never solve this, it's just nice to know this community exists and will patiently listen to trials and travails.

Grandma Reefer
Keeper of "Gamma Fishies" as my youngest granddaughter calls them

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any updated pictures, i use reef crystals its so cheap i cant resist and usually available. what salt were you using , and what did you switch to? just for a reference.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back