Changing Hood On JBJ Nano

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 603-LED 28 watt Nano Cube. A friend gave me the 89 watt LED hood. However I am not the brightest bulb and I can not figure out how to take the 28 watt hood off. It looks like it just pulls out of the hinges but I do not want to force it. Any help would be appreciated.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if it is attached like the biocube hood. That one has these pins you pull out and then remove the hood it's pretty easy.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my jbj 12g you tilt the lid all the way back and then pull towards you. The hinges detach.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope its dimmable on you may cook your corals if its a 30 gallon tank and your putting 89 watts that close to the surface of the water.
Good point. I actually mounted my hood above the tank with my dimmable LEDs and they still get enough light.

OP
OP
Luvthekeys

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby so all help is appreciated. I have been reading a lot of forums. I did not see anyone complain about the 89 watt hood being too strong. That is not to say I do not take your advice with appreciation. I am just wondering why it has not been a topic of conversation anywhere I have seen. I have both hoods so I can go either way. How would I be able to make them dimmable if I decided to still go with the 89 watt. I am going to cycle with Live rock. One thing that bothers me is that stand they sell with the JBJ tank. I am using it but it does not inspire confidence in it ability to hold the tank. Yet people use it so maybe I am being too cautious. glb how did you mount your hood above the tank?

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right you don't hear many people say you can have to much light when it comes to leds and that's a problem. If its not dimmable its not easy to change it so I would mount it 12 inches above the tank. I have two 165 watt reefbreeder leds and I was losing corals and nothing would grow in less it was in the SHADE so like everyone else I thought because MH lighting is around 250 watt to 400 watt that 2 165 watt leds would be just fine well when I got smart and turned them down to 40 percent now I don't lose corals everything is growing like weeds. Of course use your own judgement I'm just trying to help. I had that same tank and stand five years ago and loved it I never changed the lights though. I never had trouble the stand but being in construction all my life I like to over build my stands and build them myself.

OP
OP
Luvthekeys

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daytonareefing Thanks for your reply. I think I will stick with the 28 watt and try to find corals that will work under that light. I guess how long you have them on makes a difference too. I am learning as I go. But thanks to many on these forums I am learning a little at a time. The only problem is it seems there are always at least two schools of thought on every subject. If you had this tank maybe you could tell me how thick your sand bed was. I am using Carib Sea ACS00050 Aragonite Reef Sand. It has little pieces of shell mixed into sand.

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember but 1"1/2 to 2" is what I run and your right there's many way to solve a problem. I don't know your budget but I been having good luck with AI Hydra 26's and I heard people are putting the AI Prime in those tank lids they are 45 watts and dimmable with a andriod or apple phone and they are 200.00 the Hydra 26 is 95 watts and 300.00 but you need a controller to get a lot of controller out of it but It will dim with 4 settings with out a controller. I grow sps with one Hydra 26 on a 30 gallon tank. I just thought I would give you something to think about there are many options and there is a lot of diy retro fit kits Rapid led has a lot of them on there website.

OP
OP
Luvthekeys

Luvthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee I haven't filled the tank yet and already you got me buying stuff. (LOL) Thanks again. I just leak tested the tank. It took three before I got one that I did not have to send back. They do not ship well at least not in my case. Maybe I will sell the 89 watt hood. It is brand new and never been used. Then I can think about getting a different light. I already bought the InTank replacement filter for this tank. It has rave reviews. I bought two Hydor Koralia 425's for more circulation.What is going to be tough is waiting for the tank to cycle properly. The local Reef store wanted me to go with a Red Sea Reefer which seemed like a great tank but by the time he was done I was looking at twice the money I am spending now. I figure get started with something that is all in one. If I really enjoy it I can and will move up.

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The had the PRO led hood on my 28 and everything did fine without cooking or bleaching. Its comprised with (25) 14K 3w and (4) 5w actenic. IMHO the lights don't do much for the coloration of the tank. I added ecoxotic royal blue and UV stunner strips and a RGB in there as well. Finally ditched the hood and got a Radion XR15 pro, looks AMAZING now and the coral love it! BTW the hood just pulls toward you out of those clips. It takes a little effort, but it will come.

Attachments

• IMG_5352.JPG
    IMG_5352.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 163

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 28.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back