Changing NSW to Red Sea Question

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Reef2Reef,

I am finally done with my discount card I got from LFS. They had their levels at: Alk - 8.4 to 8.9; Ca - 440 to 460 Salinity - 1.025. They had a boat go out and gather their water and filter it before adding buffering. I want to start using Red Sea Coral Pro because I found out I can keep that water longer than NSW and the parameters are higher. (I have to go each week to get water). I have read many articles and seen many youtube videos which seem to be more about changing from different salts but not really NSW to these salts. I even asked my two LFS that I regularly go to, with different opinions.

Opinion # 1 = 1st WC 75%NSW/25%Red Sea; 2nd & 3rd WC 50%NSW/50%Red Sea; 4th WC 25%NSW/75%Red Sea; Last WC 100% Red Sea.

Opinion #2 = Do a Full WC using Red Sea. (I have Planted tanks if I were to do a full WC this would cause a breakout of Algae and Bacteria Bloom)

I have a mix reef tank with weekly water changes at 10%. I had to dose mostly Alk since it would go down to 7.7 which I didn't like (I use Hanna Checker and I test 3 times 2-3x a week Chemicals are to date). I know with weekly WC this should help. But Alk was getting low compare to CA so I didn't need to dose that even though I do have it on hand just in case. How would you Reef2Reef community change from NSW to Red Sea Coral Pro?

My Parameters after recent WC:
NO3 = 5ppm -10ppm ( Cannot tell those two a part) Sailfert
PO = 0.03 PPM (Hanna Checker URL)
ALK = 8.8 (Hanna Checker)
CA = 460 (Hanna Checker)
Mg = 1340 (Sailfert)
Salinity = 1.024 (Hanna Tester)
PH = 8.4 (Hanna Tester)

Please don't say I need two different companies to test. I test 2-3 times using water from a clean cup I collect from my tank. All Test kit have a +/- of a degree and you will never get a precise level unless you do the expensive test were you send it in.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do a daily 5% change with Red Sea at first, keeping an eye on PH and alk.

That way if there's any adverse reaction, it's lessened by the smaller difference.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever I’ve switched salts I’ve always added the new salt to the old salt little by little. Building up the amount of new salt each week. So if say you change 4 gallons with nsw, only use 3 gallons of nsw and mix up 1 gallon of RS. The following week do a nsw/RS 50/50, week after that nsw/RS 25/75 then switch to all RS the 4th week.

OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever I’ve switched salts I’ve always added the new salt to the old salt little by little. Building up the amount of new salt each week. So if say you change 4 gallons with nsw, only use 3 gallons of nsw and mix up 1 gallon of RS. The following week do a nsw/RS 50/50, week after that nsw/RS 25/75 then switch to all RS the 4th week.
Thanks for the reply

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mix it up and dump it in like a normal WC.

Salt is salt. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp for reefers?

I switch up salts all the time(I'm a cheapskate and buy whatever is the cheapest when I'm looking), and just mix it up like I do any other salt mix. Do my WC like normal and have never had adverse effects.

Again, salt is salt, whats in one mix thats different then another other then the parameters they mix up to? Yes some salts have organics in them, but thats the only difference. If salts were so much different wouldn't we all be using the "best" salt? Yet we all use different salts simple because of the parameters they mix up to.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ipinion:
Since the RS Coral Pro mixes at a higher level of alk and I dont know what is in your tank I would do 4ea 25% water changes over a 4 week period. To be on the safe side. You dont want to shock any high priced sticks.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with your weekly water change of 10%. Use the coral pro. Test alk. A .5 swing in alk won’t bother anything. I doubt it will Be as much as a .5 swing.

OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mix it up and dump it in like a normal WC.

Salt is salt. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp for reefers?

I switch up salts all the time(I'm a cheapskate and buy whatever is the cheapest when I'm looking), and just mix it up like I do any other salt mix. Do my WC like normal and have never had adverse effects.

Again, salt is salt, whats in one mix thats different then another other then the parameters they mix up to? Yes some salts have organics in them, but thats the only difference. If salts were so much different wouldn't we all be using the "best" salt? Yet we all use different salts simple because of the parameters they mix up to.
I thought it was due to the CA, ALk being at different parameters. I would think going from a high to low would be bad for corals or even going high fast would be bad. The hobby seems to be about consistency. I maybe new to reefing, but I don't think all salts are made equal. Natural or not, even nature makes mistakes sometimes. Even the best can have lemons from time to time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back