Getting 2 vastly different test results, which one do I use?

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea test kit and I just bought a Salfert test kit and got two completely different results. The Red Sea is reporting 2+ ppm of ammonia when the Salfert shows none. The only thing I could think of is maybe I shook the Red Sea test too hard?

I did go to my LFS and get my water tested there and they also reported no ammonia. Normally I would go with the highest test reading but not sure what to do. I did the Red Sea test first since that takes 15 mins to process and then the Salfert so they would finish around the same time.

IMG_1248.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used redsea test kits but salifert are normally a solid test kit! I use a lot of there’s.
Yeah, I'm curious to see how the nitrite and nitrate tests compare to Salifert. I did get the Red Sea tests for free so I'm not too hurt if I throw them out just a bummer because it's nice to have extra tests.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm curious to see how the nitrite and nitrate tests compare to Salifert. I did get the Red Sea tests for free so I'm not too hurt if I throw them out just a bummer because it's nice to have extra tests.
Nitrite doesn’t matter.. if you do get a reading then your nitrate reading will be super high and false.

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite doesn’t matter.. if you do get a reading then your nitrate reading will be super high and false.
forgive me I'm a little bit confused, I know that testing nitrAtes isn't accurate when you have nitrites but shouldn't you still test nitrites when you're cycling? I was told to wait until nitrItes are at 0, then do a partial water change and then I should be good to go for cleaning crew. Atleast that's what my LFS told me

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgive me I'm a little bit confused, I know that testing nitrAtes isn't accurate when you have nitrites but shouldn't you still test nitrites when you're cycling? I was told to wait until nitrItes are at 0, then do a partial water change and then I should be good to go for cleaning crew. Atleast that's what my LFS told me
No reason to test for them honestly.. when your nitrates show up the cycle is complete! If they’re off the charts then you might have some nitrite still and need a day or 2

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to test for them honestly.. when your nitrates show up the cycle is complete! If they’re off the charts then you might have some nitrite still and need a day or 2
Ah... well in that sense when my LFS tested my water it showed 2-3ppm nitrites and about 20 nitrates.

I'll probably wait until the nitrites are at 0 since I do want to get my fish and whatnot from my LFS. I would feel bad if they told me to wait and I just blatently ignored them. I'm very much a people pleaser with a dash of social awkwardness :upside-down-face:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been debating getting them!
they aren’t as reliable as many may think. lots of inconsistency depending on what LOT# you have. to extend life of reagents you’re made to refrigerate them. there are also differences between a vial(what you use to test) with different locations of the 10mL mark. not to mention their price. salifert is cheap and reliable.

nevertheless, i own the hannah checkers. what trumped it all for me and made me get them(coming from red sea and salifert test kits) is the simplicity. my goal in reef keeping is to be as hands off as possible so i can spend more time enjoying the tank. this is worth more than all their “cons” for me! :)

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they aren’t as reliable as many may think. lots of inconsistency depending on what LOT# you have. to extend life of reagents you’re made to refrigerate them. there are also differences between a vial(what you use to test) with different locations of the 10mL mark. not to mention their price. salifert is cheap and reliable.

nevertheless, i own the hannah checkers. what trumped it all for me and made me get them(coming from red sea and salifert test kits) is the simplicity. my goal in reef keeping is to be as hands off as possible so i can spend more time enjoying the tank. this is worth more than all their “cons” for me! :)
You bring up some excellent points. These instruments are just hobby grade. A good testing protocol will have you lable each curvette and lid so that while they might be slightly off, the measurements will be consistent.
20240314_090903.jpg
20240314_090828.jpg

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bring up some excellent points. These instruments are just hobby grade. A good testing protocol will have you lable each curvette and lid so that while they might be slightly off, the measurements will be consistent.
20240314_090903.jpg
20240314_090828.jpg
I love that stand and the organization. Makes me wonder what kind of 3d prints are out there to help myself better organize!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero luck with Red Sea testing.
They sit in a box lonely in the corner.
Over complicated for me anyways.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating getting them!
I would not debate this idea, they are well worth the cost! I got the 4 big ones, for me at least, PH, ALK, nitrate and phosphate. If you can swing the cost, I would highly recommend them, if not, just get one at a time :cool:

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Two tests saying 0, odds are it's zero. For peace of mind, you can test the accuracy your red sea test by testing freshly made water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back