Reading Salfert Nitrate test results

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

So, the Salfert Nitrate test offers two ways to read the results. Hold it up and look through the sides of the vile/container, and get a 1:10 reading, OR look down on it through the base of the container and get a 1:1 reading.

I would have assumed that if I checked both, then I’d get roughly the same results.

When I look through the side, I get a 100 reading, which calculates to a reading of 10.0 (because you divide it by 10). But then if I look through the side, it’s more like a 25.0 reading (maybe 20.0).

Question is, is either one more accurate or reliable?

Thanks!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to get a lower reading through the side with the division by ten. Since the numbers are still low but existing, I go with my lower number. If my look down number is registering over 25 AND the side number is in the 100 range....it's going to be dark pink, and the division is similar, I'll think of solutions, if my tank has issues. Usually my phosphates would be high as well.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading 100 (so 10.0 after division) from the side, and 20-25 from above (Sorry, I just realised I said "through the side" twice in the OP), and my phosphates are 0.03. Are you saying that you sorta average them out/split the difference? (so for example, I would take a reading of 17.5 in this case).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is about right. If you want precision, you are not going to get it from this test kit. Go with 10-20 and call it good. Average it if you want.

Salifert is really good, cheap and easy for a SWAG... clear is reliable and so it super dark, but in the middle you have to just take a bit of a range.

When I use it, I get clear from the top and about 2 from the side... so I say .1 to .2, or so.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is about right. If you want precision, you are not going to get it from this test kit. Go with 10-20 and call it good. Average it if you want.

Salifert is really good, cheap and easy for a SWAG... clear is reliable and so it super dark, but in the middle you have to just take a bit of a range.

When I use it, I get clear from the top and about 2 from the side... so I say .1 to .2, or so.
SWAG?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

So, the Salfert Nitrate test offers two ways to read the results. Hold it up and look through the sides of the vile/container, and get a 1:10 reading, OR look down on it through the base of the container and get a 1:1 reading.

I would have assumed that if I checked both, then I’d get roughly the same results.

When I look through the side, I get a 100 reading, which calculates to a reading of 10.0 (because you divide it by 10). But then if I look through the side, it’s more like a 25.0 reading (maybe 20.0).

Thanks!
Ideally read from above until it goes out of range and then use the reading from the side.

Higher ranges are less accurate simply because it doesn't matter so much.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scientific Wild butt Guess - SWAG.

B8JZJ_eCEAAhTzY.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Thanks!
Looking down, if your less than 10ppm, you can opt for the higher sensitivity test through the side divided by 10. But this reading is “approximate”
Since your top view is 20-25ppm, I’d take that reading.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back