Changing out main rock

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask if it’s possible for me to change out my main rock in my 10g tank without any negative side effects. I want to change it out for something smaller that would look better and allow better spots for me to mount the few frags I have.

I do have some bio media balls and a bag of ceramic media that came with the tank in the back chamber.

I was thinking of some other dry rock or rock that has been cycling at my LFS. I thought about live rock but nervous it would cause a cycle and harm my fish.

IMG_1227.jpeg IMG_1226.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any thoughts on breaking the existing live rock into smaller pieces? With your existing media you should be ok replacing with cycled rock but will have to start all over with dry rock. How old is the tank btw?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lost me at bio balls. Who invited the 90’s? J/K Seasoned rock can hold a lot of your systems beneficial bacteria. What about taking it out briefly, breaking some off with a hammer and putting it back in? I think that would have less of an affect than swapping for dry rock.

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know if it was okay with breaking my existing rock. If I could do that then I could try that. The tank is a little bit over a year old. If I had dry rock again, would still face a possible Dino outbreak down the road?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually put a little more rock in there. Give your fish somewhere he can go to get away from prying eyes. You could just mount all those frags onto your current rock and make yourself a mini bommie. Super glue and epoxy are your friend.

Oh, and don't fear the live rock. As long as it has been kept under proper conditions, and doesn't have any die off going on, it's perfectly safe to add.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's possible the rock would hit ugly stages again, doubtful of dino unless your nutrients were wiped as well. However I wouldn't replace all of it. Try breaking first and see if you like it. Best of luck :)

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know if it was okay with breaking my existing rock. If I could do that then I could try that. The tank is a little bit over a year old. If I had dry rock again, would still face a possible Dino outbreak down the road?
Would increase the chances, sure. I would bleach and acid the new rock to scrub any organics out of it.

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll first try breaking up my existing rock into two smaller chunks and see how it looks, and possibly going with two small pieces. My main goal is so it doesn’t look so crowded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back