Changing out sand bed on a established sps tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassklar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassklar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
483
Reaction score
85
Location
Vacaville ca
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As the title states I have gotten sick of my existing sugar size sand bed in my sps tank I would like to know if anyone can give me some advice on changing it out while not destroying my sps. The existing sandbed is about 2 inches thick it gets blown all over the place so I would like to go to heavier courser sand anybody have any input it would be appreciative
Thanks
 
I would just siphon it out during a WC and focus on the areas that get blown out then replace with new courser grade live or well rinsed using a plastic bag or cup to deposit it where you want it. I just added some Old School crushed coral to these areas which pretty much eliminated the sandstorms.

Cheers, Todd
 
Siphon out small sections of the old sand. Never take it all out at once. You can use a large diameter funnel and pvc pipe to put in the new sand where you want it without much of a mess.
 
You can use Tupperware bins to keep them separate as you slowly add one and remove the other.

Another way is to just add more and more of the new over time and scoop both out and sift them apart, then put the bigger back in.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new