Changing Salts? Red Sea Blue Bucket to Black (Pro)

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made the change in salts from Red Sea Blue bucket, to Red Sea Black bucket (Coral Pro)

A fish store a bit closer to me sells the Coral Pro salt, and has me thinking now that I do have more SPS (an am awaiting a Battlebox from Battlecorals), maybe it would make sense to switch over to Black Bucket.

I typically do a water change every 8-10 days by taking out 2.5 gallons, and if I was going to switch over to a different salt, I'm thinking I might do things in even smaller doses. Maybe a 1 gallon water change every 5-7 days to slowly transition over to a different salt.

My tank is happy, corals are doing great, so I"m not sure if in my small Deskmate I'd be asking for problems if I change my salt (tank is currently 7.5 months old)

Here's a picture of how the tank sits today (mixed reef, zoas, favias, lords, GSP, 5 SPS with about another 6-8 coming)

Appreciate any suggestions!

IMG_6198.JPG

Adam0507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what's the logic for wanting to change the salt? Personally if it isn't broke I wouldn't change things.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not recommend it.

Unless you are keeping values that match the pro salt...

Very little reefers would promote 12dkh.

Easier on your tank to do water changes with values that are as close to your tank as possible and most run from 7-9

The only thing i noticed with blue bucket is needing to suppliment a little mag to keep it in line with my tank.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what's the logic for wanting to change the salt? Personally if it isn't broke I wouldn't change things.

Honestly nothing other than it's about 20 minutes closer than the other fish store I normally go to for my pre-mixed water (blue bucket). One of my concerns was that it would create an issue. Last thing I'd want to do it throw my tank out of wack for a total of 40 minutes once every 7 weeks.

Would not recommend it.

Unless you are keeping values that match the pro salt...

Very little reefers would promote 12dkh.

Easier on your tank to do water changes with values that are as close to your tank as possible and most run from 7-9

The only thing i noticed with blue bucket is needing to suppliment a little mag to keep it in line with my tank.

Thanks!

Adam0507

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly nothing other than it's about 20 minutes closer than the other fish store I normally go to for my pre-mixed water (blue bucket). One of my concerns was that it would create an issue. Last thing I'd want to do it throw my tank out of wack for a total of 40 minutes once every 7 weeks.

Thanks!
For me it's just not worth the risk for a relatively small inconvenience every 7 weeks.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run black bucket mostly because all my tanks are dosed up to old school way. I keep my KH around 11 which is why I never have to fuss with pH. Personally if you’re not dosing I cannot see doing water changes with something that mixes to KH7. Within a few days you’re gonna be well below 7 if not dosing and adding 7 water will never get you back to 7. Even if your tank is at 7KH a 10% water change with 12KH is only going to spike it to to 7.5 which will drag back down in days if not hours.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I would not switch. There is no benefit in running or using a salt with a high alkalinity. Black bucket does not store well at all and I found it to be one of the dirtier salts when I tested them all.

Get your own RODI and make your own salt if you can.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I'm going to stick with the old adage....if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Back when I had my 29 Gallon Biocube...I think all my problems with that tank started when I switched over to a different salt.

Blue bucket it is!

Thanks again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back