OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending upon what size cup you're using of course.

Using cups for measurement of dry solids is just plain wrong.
Huh? A cup is 8 ounces last time I checked. If you think this doesn't work, check out the pic I posted. Pretty much spot on.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Cup" as in the unit of measurement, not as in the type of container.

Yes, there are inconsistencies depending on how packed the salt is in the cup, but 1 scooped-and-leveled cup, without packing it down, will generally hold enough salt for 2 gallons of water. Then you verify with a refractometer.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming we’re all talking about a cup in terms of measurement, and not a coffee cup etc.

I generally like to undershoot a little bit and then add more salt if necessary.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? A cup is 8 ounces last time I checked. If you think this doesn't work, check out the pic I posted. Pretty much spot on.
Well last time I checked a cup is 250ml which if filled with water has a mass of about 250 grams.
Now, If I go back in the history books 50 years to imperial weights that is 8.8 oz.

Which goes to show a cup can be anything you like, whereas 40.3 grams is always 40.3 grams (at least since 1795)

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still after using five 8 oz cups per 10 gallons, and making 40 gallons, my Hanna checker showed 35.1 ppt, and refractometer showed 1.026.

Anyway, regardless, it gets you in the ballpark, and then you can adjust accordingly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to know why you can only mix for 4 hours. Doesn't the flow in our tanks equal mixing? What happens after 4 hours, does it ignite? Explode?

High alk salt mixes are very prone to precipitation of calcium carbonate, especially if they get warm. Much more so than a reef aquarium at the same pH and alk and temp. That is why Red Sea recommends only a short mixing time.

That said, a little calcium carbonate precipitation is likely not a big deal. I never worried much about it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last time I checked a cup is 250ml which if filled with water has a mass of about 250 grams.
Now, If I go back in the history books 50 years to imperial weights that is 8.8 oz.

Which goes to show a cup can be anything you like, whereas 40.3 grams is always 40.3 grams (at least since 1795)

You foreigners and your worries about cups. lol Every kitchen in America has a labeled measuring cup. We also have other cups for coffee and tea, but none of us ever get those confused. It's like confusing a koala and a grizzly, both might be referred to as bears, but most people can tell them apart. lol

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk salt mixes are very prone to precipitation of calcium carbonate, especially if they get warm. Much more so than a reef aquarium at the same pH and alk and temp. That is why Red Sea recommends only a short mixing time.

That said, a little calcium carbonate precipitation is likely not a big deal. I never worried much about it.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back