Changing tanks

JoeyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like I have a 75 gallon tank with a aio sump sitting in the tank and it has caused nothing but problems so I'm going to change my stand and tank but how do I go about this

How should I move my corals and fish
My current stock is just a single clownfish and a snowflake eel

OP
OP
J

JoeyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like I have a 75 gallon tank with a aio sump sitting in the tank and it has caused nothing but problems so I'm going to change my stand and tank but how do I go about this

How should I move my corals and fish
My current stock is just a single clownfish and a snowflake eel
Forgot to mention I'm going from an aio to an external sump that goes under the stand

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed from one 125G w/canister filter to a different tank with a sump. This is how I did it:
1. Transferred most of the tank water and rocks/coral/etc to several brute cans or other holding tanks, leaving enough water for the fish.
2. Catching the fish (theres no place to hide, so its a bit easier to do now) and putting them into one of the brute cans, making sure there's a heater and a pump for water movement.
3. Scooping out as much sand as I could and putting it in buckets
4. Cleaning out whatever else is remaining in the old tank, breaking it down and moving it and the stand out of the way.
5. Setting up the new tank and stand, etc.
6. Pretty much reverse the process to get everything back into the new tank, adding new water as needed.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you transfer your biological filter and whatever else you add is not loaded with phospates it will be a simple swap. I'd set the other tank up, get it working and up to temp, add the biological media, and then the animals. I assume that you have some sort of media in the canister filter. Add all of that and the sponges. Don't rinse it out. Just throw it in the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back