Charcoal black skimmate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Waters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
What Anthony stated is correct...it isn't normal (dark) skimmate....when you dump it out, it looks like charcoal if that makes any sense. I agree though, I would think the socks would be black if it was coming from my reactor...especially since it exits directly into a sock. I also agree that the skimmate color and consistency will change depending on what it is pulling out of the water, but it usually is always within the same color range...just lighter (tea colored) or darker (dark green/brown). This is from a completely different color pallet lol. As everybody stated, I am not going to worry about it since the inverts and fish all seem fine.....so far anyways :)
 
I wouldn't worry about it for a completely different reason.. The skimmer is designed to work at a much lower particle level than "most" filter socks(most socks used are 100 and 200 micron) . Hence, the material passing through the sock can be extracted by the skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new