Charity and tax returns and SS numbers.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We donated our Travel Trailer to a local charity, and they came back and told us it sold for 3k.
They want our SS number so they can send us the receipt for the sale.
Is that normal for them to request your SS number?
Thanks in advance

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We donated our Travel Trailer to a local charity, and they came back and told us it sold for 3k.
They want our SS number so they can send us the receipt for the sale.
Is that normal for them to request your SS number?
Thanks in advance
It isn't required. I believe they submit a form to the IRS giving all the larger gifts and the value so the IRS can match to the individual tax returns. Giving of the SSN is voluntary. Apparently the IRS tried to implement a rule that required you to give your SSN but the back lash was too large and they backed down. Now if this "travel trailer" falls under the vehicle category, my understanding is you could be limited on how much you claim, which I think may be $500 if you don't provide your SSN.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, they is what they stated, it seems weird that have to give them my SS, I do not know why they cannot send me the invoice with Serial Number of the rig and I can add the SS and then submit it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, they is what they stated, it seems weird that have to give them my SS, I do not know why they cannot send me the invoice with Serial Number of the rig and I can add the SS and then submit it.
It is just part of the IRS requirements. Here is what it says on the website for the instructions:

"See part J of the current General Instructions for Certain Information Returns for details on requesting the donor's TIN. If the donor does not provide a TIN, you must check box 7 because the acknowledgment will not meet the requirements of section 170(f)(12) and the donor will not be allowed to claim a deduction of more than $500 for the qualified vehicle."

Not sure why it is a special requirement for vehicle donations, I assume there used to be some kind of issue that this was supposed to fix.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back