Success with UPS claim

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wanted to share my experience with UPS claims. So back in December, I shipped a low cost piece of framed art to my grandma. I re-used a shipping box that another artwork came in from the same art gallery. Needless to say a few days after shipping it, I get a damaged in shipping notification. It gets returned to me and the glass had shattered but otherwise the art and frame appear undamaged, though there was some scrapes on the custom matting. No biggie.

I call UPS as it gave an error in the app to start a claim. Have you tried getting a hold of a live person? Basically I had to enter an incorrect tracking number to get some where beyond the automated system. Anyway, finally get to a live person and then get transferred to their claims department.

There it is explained that since the damage was found during the shipping process, they already started the claim (but because I’m not a commercial shipper it didn’t appear on my end?) Anyway they email me the claim paperwork which came with the “insufficient packing denial” letter. After research it was found to be a standard denial letter and to call again and request to escalate/appeal it.

After getting this “standardized” denial, I called again. It was explained that basically, apparently the box, that is used to ship art pieces worth $10’s of thousands of dollars is not “certified” as it didn’t have a shipping certification stamp.

So after talking with them, I requested to appeal it and the guy said we’ll give you a one time exception and approve the claim, you just need to fill out this paperwork explaining the value.

This is where it got tricky. They wanted proof of original price paid for everything. For the art this was no problem, however I had added the frame and some custom matting to this art and I’m not a receipt keeper. So I’m thinking “great, this will get denied as I have no proof of additional cost”. So I ended up going to the website of the place I bought the frame from and submitted a copy of the frame webpage. I had nothing to show for the custom matting.

Anyway, UPS accepted most of what I sent and I got a refund for the frame and shipping. I didn’t get the matting but that’s neither here nor there. I also didn’t claim the art as it appeared undamaged. So yea, if you have a claim with them, don’t get discouraged by the initial denial. But the biggest thing is be honest and I think the fact that I was polite and courteous (no matter how frustrating the automated system was) also helped the situation. Just sharing an experience. With livestock? YMMV.

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting your claim approved! Sounds like UPS and US health insurance companies run the same blanket denial shenanigans- glad you persevered

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had my wife's jewelry and my Seiko Divers watch stolen by UPS, thank god the peanuts made it, I don't know what I would have done it that happened, yes it was insured and they refused to pay, they said since the peanuts made it clearly it is not there fault.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s terrible. Did you try to escalate it at all?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did but they kept denying my claim, as soon as you make a claim they will rush over and pick up the box. They do that so they have the evidence. I had fun with them on the phone though, catching them in lies, they would elevate the call and you finally get the slammer of the phone person.
The tape was clearly cut and they tool a bunch of gold jewelry and watch

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back