How do you vacuum your SUMP?

Kona22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump maintenance today, and I found the bottom has a considerable amount of decayed matter which I would like to get out.

You can't use a siphon (gravity; thou art heartless), so what else is there; a net?
Did mine yesterday. Used submersible pump and tubing from gfo/ carbon reactor to pump dirty water into a 5 gal bucket. Only light cleaning the loose stuff in the skimmer and return pump chambers. Leaving overflow return which has live rock/ceramic bio balls and refugium chambers alone. Can’t siphon the sump, it is nearly ground level. 30 gal Fiji sump. I’ll do10 gal water change of sump water when I lightly clean it. Fish never know what happened. Also use same pump and tubing to pump 10 gal of clean water back in the sump.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought about that, but, then I lose the water.
I'm trying to design a way to make something more in line with a pool vacuum. You get the dirt, and the water gets recycled into the pool.
I drain most of the water from my sump keeping the pump above the muck then shop vac it and put the water back and top it off with fresh made saltwater. It works out to a small water change

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small pump with a hose attached going into a filter sock. Just keep stirring and let the pump do the work. I always do water changes from the sump. And almost always clean my sump during water changes. Plenty of people just leave it dirty but I think of it as taking a dump and letting it marinate before flushing. Alot of nasty stuff in there that can't be beneficial.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump maintenance today, and I found the bottom has a considerable amount of decayed matter which I would like to get out.

You can't use a siphon (gravity; thou art heartless), so what else is there; a net?
I siphon mine out. The bottom is maybe 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the bucket I'm siphoning into, and it works fine for almost all of the 5g bucket. It gets slower as the bucket fills tho.

*Edit: I'm surprised to hear how many don't remove the junk that accumulates in the sump! I thought that's one of the benefits of having the sump, was to have a high flow display to keep waste suspended, then collect in the sump for removal. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I siphon mine out. The bottom is maybe 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the bucket I'm siphoning into, and it works fine for almost all of the 5g bucket. It gets slower as the bucket fills tho.

*Edit: I'm surprised to hear how many don't remove the junk that accumulates in the sump! I thought that's one of the benefits of having the sump, was to have a high flow display to keep waste suspended, then collect in the sump for removal. Am I missing something?
No - IMHO some people want to show (which is fine) - their plumbing/etc prowess. Thus colored lights on sumps, etc etc. Totally fine to me.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I normally use my python water change hose to suck out all the water when I need to but for deep cleaning, I have always used a wet/dry vac.
I got one about 20 years ago from a work safety program. Worked great for a very long time, but died a few months ago.
So yesterday when I had to clean out my sump to do some serious cleaning inside my stand, I ran down to lowes and picked up a 4 gallon model for about $50. Worked great.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MARINELAND MAGNUM POLISHING.jpg

Consider dropping a Marineland Polishing filter in the sump loaded with floss. Direct the output to stir detritus best possible. Could run two and really stir that muck up. Obviously turn return pump off otherwise most of it likely going to the display.

I'm with Randy, that muck not an issue. I believe it's just mulm. Final phase of decomposition before mineralization and inert yet provides habitat for life to exist such as beneficial bacteria and pods. Ugly isn't always bad but I get it. Some want clean sumps.

Last edited:

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv used a small Maxijet with the 3D printed vacuum attachment. Suck out the nastys into the filter sock so you don’t loose water and clean at the same time. Hope that helps

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh, people clean that out!!¿?

Attachments

• 20240221_191925.jpg
    20240221_191925.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 56

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answering the thread title question...
I built my stand so the sump is 1 foot off the ground so as to make a siphon easy. That being said I haven't yet actually cleaned the sump since the tank was set up (about 14 months so far)

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIATOM FITER..... Absolutely works perfect on any detritus build up. As I do have a lot of coral rubble in my sump. I just blow it around and then it's all sucked-up and only clean blue water out....
I hadn't done that for 25 plus years until 2 weeks ago... Had some GHA show up a month ago...

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacuum mine out probably once a month. I use a maxi jet with a piece of tubing on the intake to suck up detritus. On the output another hose that that I stick in a 5 micron filter sock right back in sump

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out Uppettools aquarium vacuum on Amazon. I use it to clean up after a rock blow out in my bare bottom tank, and it breaks down small enough to get in the sump too. Not perfect, but I use it alot . The socks have to be emptied pretty often, but it does get the crud out.

Deco-1971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this a game changer
IMG_2017.png
IMG_2017.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back