How do you vacuum your SUMP?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some sump maintenance today, and I found the bottom has a considerable amount of decayed matter which I would like to get out.

You can't use a siphon (gravity; thou art heartless), so what else is there; a net?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does decayed matter mean?

I never once cleaned mine in 20 years. It had a thick mud layer on it.

Detritus, a big ball of Chaeto that decayed in there over time, things like that. I could easily net most of it out, but I'd like to get it thoroughly cleared out.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did some sump maintenance today, and I found the bottom has a considerable amount of decayed matter which I would like to get out.

You can't use a siphon (gravity; thou art heartless), so what else is there; a net?
I built mine on 2x4 rails for some height. I have unlimited room though so I understand that might not be an option for people whos sump is underneath their display. That said, I really never do it. Maybe once a year

You'd probably have to use the shop vac if your on ground level.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Dom, I’m with you on this one. Totally agree with @DanyL as I syphon my sump right from the floor. Detritus is so soft and light that even a slow 3/4” syphon tube nicely does the trick. What I do is I put two small square pillows on the floor and 4’ away from my sump. I the place a 5 gallon bucket between the pillows with the bottom of the bucket away from the tank and the top of the bucket slightly facing upwards. Then I take my 7 or 8’ piece of hose put one end in the sump and the other end just touching the bottom of the bucket. I start the syphon and begin to move it across the sump floor. Super easy, gets the crud out. Because of your topic, I thought I’d google “cleaning sumps” one of the first ten was a video produced by Reef Builders called “Take Pride in your Reef tank, Clean up that sump”. The guy cleaning the sump considered detritus, “dirt and crud”. Again, very easy, good luck.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I also make a 5 gallon bucket of fresh salt water. Because of the angle of the bucket being filled. You’ll only fill it 1/3 full before you need to empty it. But each time you empty it, you add an equal amount of fresh salt water to your tank. Do this 3 times and you have a clean sump. And a 5 gallon water change.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I the place a 5 gallon bucket between the pillows with the bottom of the bucket away from the tank and the top of the bucket slightly facing upwards.
I used to use regular buckets in the past, but I’ve found that a small tub works the best for this due to the lower height.
You can find them in all shapes and sizes, usually they are used for laundry.

I thought about that, but, then I lose the water.
I usually do this during a water change, so I have spare water to use.
But sometimes I don’t have enough, and what I do is to simply siphon it right back to the system, but through the roller mat - this gives me endless amounts of water to use.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I never clean mine and regard the muck/mud as beneficial, the same you fine in streams with clear and pure water

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a small submersible pump and pump it into your filter sock in sump.

I tried that. But the intake gets clogged quickly and needs to be cleaned frequently.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A Python - or an electrical aquarium vacuum (it has a battery)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back