shipping issue question regarding USPS

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If selling something and the Item was damaged during shipping, am I responsible to refund the buyer? The package was insured and a file was claimed

The buyer seems to be working with me but he did say that he might contact Paypal and claim it was was damaged

I did everything right, wrapped it in 3 layers of bubble wrap and some how it still broke.

I have had a issue with fedex one time and they wouldnt pay the claim as they said the Box didnt have the correct info on for shipping what ever that was supposed to mean. I always thought a cardboard box was just that a cardboard box?

This issue was with USPS, and the only way this item could have broke was if the box was crushed.

Times like this makes you want to never ship anything

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're left with USPS' T&C's here I'm afraid. Have a look through them, should be easy enough to find online :upside-down-face:

If the parcel was insured then I reckon you should have your money back eventually and be able to repay the buyer - if he's patient enough.

He could file through PayPal that the item arrived broken - which it did. Thats what I would do, thats what the buyer protection is there for after all. In any case, if its none of yours fault, its definitely not on the buyer :)

Hope it all works out for you!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a buyer perspective, I would definitely expect a refund of at least the item, if not the shipping cost as well as usually shipping is also usually refunded in shipping insurance claims. While it’s not your fault necessarily the item broke in shipping, it’s not my fault as the buyer.

As a shipper, and I learned this first hand from UPS a couple weeks ago. Apparently actual shipping boxes have a certification seal (it’s usually round on the bottom) for shipping purposes. I reused a box from a company that shipped a similar item to me and they initially denied my claim for the same reason (uncertified box) but later approved it after I appealed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If selling something and the Item was damaged during shipping, am I responsible to refund the buyer? The package was insured and a file was claimed

The buyer seems to be working with me but he did say that he might contact Paypal and claim it was was damaged

I did everything right, wrapped it in 3 layers of bubble wrap and some how it still broke.

I have had a issue with fedex one time and they wouldnt pay the claim as they said the Box didnt have the correct info on for shipping what ever that was supposed to mean. I always thought a cardboard box was just that a cardboard box?

This issue was with USPS, and the only way this item could have broke was if the box was crushed.

Being in this situation, the buyer ultimately will be compensated by Paypal. How it works although seeming unfair, you will refund the buyer and get reimbursed by UPS
UPS I find is Very good with claims and will pay you

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had firsthand experience with this, but double check the insurance terms regarding live animals.

I’ve read on online retailers terms and conditions that live animal insurance is a separate policy.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had firsthand experience with this, but double check the insurance terms regarding live animals.

I’ve read on online retailers terms and conditions that live animal insurance is a separate policy.
Nothing about live animals here- or did I miss anything? :smiling-face:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it’s 100% on you.

You’re the seller, you’re the one who will get refunded via the insurance. That’s how you’re getting covered to make it not a loss.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who filed the insurance claim? You or buyer?

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The claim has been filed, just wondering how USPS is about covering damage? I know they have a hard time even getting a package from Point A to Point B

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The claim has been filed, just wondering how USPS is about covering damage? I know they have a hard time even getting a package from Point A to Point B
You'll get back whatever value it was ensured for I suppose :upside-down-face:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what the item was and how well it was packaged.
I’ve had them fully cover the cost of something damaged and I’ve also had them say “no, it wasn’t packaged properly” or “we don’t think it’s valued at that and found this comparable item so here’s X amount that we find to be of decent substitution”

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the box crushed?
I did everything right, wrapped it in 3 layers of bubble wrap and some how it still broke
If the box was not crushed but the item broken then I'd say its on you 100%. Box crushed usps but hopefully someone can provide evidence. If I receive an item with damgaged packaging I take picture before I even bring it into the house.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

The buyer has 2 options. File with PayPal or wait and you refund him the money. The timeline on that is between the 2 of you.
You have to file a claim with the shipping company to get your money back.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Yeah, you can refund the buyer or they may file a claim with the payment processor anyway. I don’t ship anymore because of things like this myself. People can also keep the item and get their money back way too easily now too regardless if it is damaged or not. Usually shipping costs are not refunded to the buyer unless you stated it was free shipping. Then you have to jump through the hoops with usps to get reimbursed.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USPS sent me a letter yesterday stating they were covering the cost of the damaged item but not the shipping

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back