Sand from US Live Rock

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick review.

I purchased 15lbs of live sand from US Live Rock. Including shipping, $63.13. Arrived today, in a wet box, delivered as damaged by USPS. Wet sand had been packaged in a 30g black plastic trash bag, rolled up and stuffed in a USPS if it fits, it ships box. No telling how much water the package had when it was shipped, but when it arrived, it was damp.

Cut the corner from the trash bag and emptied it into a 2 gallon pail. That's about how much there was, a 2 gallon pail full. 15lbs, yeah, probably, when there was more water in the package, sure.

Sand is bright white, sugar fine, almost no bits of shell, rubble, etc. I'm not hopeful that much life exists in this damp sand.

Oh, did I mention... it's been at or below freezing for weeks? There were no heat packs, or any sort of insulation intended to hold temperature.

I dumped it in the tank. The line of dark sand at the back of the photo is my old sand, the bright white stuff is what they shipped me. The little hermit crab was _not_ in the bag :D

Oh... trying to open US Live Rock's web page right now, I get 'site currently unavailable' if you are the owner, please contact your hosting company. Maybe my $60 wasn't enough to keep the domain paid up ;D

Sand.jpg

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes, sounds like a ripoff. Sorry that happened to you. Next time try Tampa Bay saltwater.
I've used TBS in the past. They won't currently ship to a home address, only to an airport. I'm an hour from the nearest airport... thought I'd give this one a try. My mistake.

Remember when you used to be able to get a scoop of Garf Grunge, or a bag of rubble from Inland Aquatics? Full of spaghetti worms, bristle worms, amphipods, copepods, stuff was just crawling with life.

I ordered from IPSF a few years ago. Was not impressed with what they sent me for a hundred bucks. They appear to be about all that's left selling something along these lines. Well, Garf's page is still there, but I haven't seen a positive review of their stuff in a decade or more. Inland is long gone.

Sure wish some of the big coral grow out places would plumb in some big, shallow, low light DSB's. Let 'em age a year or so, and start selling scoops of live sand.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TBS does ship to a home address, if you pick something from their "treasure chest" section. They have some packages of sand in there. Lots of life- mine even came with lancelets. It is very much made of chunks and bits and such, so you may not want it if you want a nice smooth sandbed.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used TBS in the past. They won't currently ship to a home address, only to an airport. I'm an hour from the nearest airport... thought I'd give this one a try. My mistake.

Remember when you used to be able to get a scoop of Garf Grunge, or a bag of rubble from Inland Aquatics? Full of spaghetti worms, bristle worms, amphipods, copepods, stuff was just crawling with life.

I ordered from IPSF a few years ago. Was not impressed with what they sent me for a hundred bucks. They appear to be about all that's left selling something along these lines. Well, Garf's page is still there, but I haven't seen a positive review of their stuff in a decade or more. Inland is long gone.

Sure wish some of the big coral grow out places would plumb in some big, shallow, low light DSB's. Let 'em age a year or so, and start selling scoops of live sand.
As stated up above, go for the “treasure chest option” and you can do home delivery! A little more expensive shipping but saves you the airport hassle.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I've already paid for what I got... probably not going to order again any time soon. Great that TBS has a direct delivery option... and too bad I didn't see it.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear you loud and clear, buddy. Man do I miss the old days.

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread. Some time last month I purchased three types of live rock from US Live Rock. 120 lbs but only received 20 lbs. the owner apologized first and said he was in the hospital. He said relax I sent it in two shipments. Then afterwards said he refunded me through Venmo. But I paid through Capital One credit card. He stopped returning my messages. Had to file a claim with CC company. The next day the site was down. Actually when I received the 20 pounds I saw the amount they spent on shipping and thought to myself how are they ever going to make money on this. They’re going to lose money. So maybe that was part of it maybe they didn’t figure the shipping cost right. CC company gave me a temp credit while they’re trying to contact him.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happily, I didn't buy enough to really sweat about it. Just write it off as a bad decision, and hope to keep others from making the same mistake.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back