Chasing Those Numbers!

I_E_85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alight! So, I am three months into having my BioCube 32 running. I have only stocked four fish so far (slow and steady wins the race, right?) and of course there is my CUC which I have had since the ugly stage started to show it's self. Tests reveal that the nitrogen cycle is healthy. Those numbers are not my worry. However, I can't seem to get off this KH rollercoaster. For a few days the KH, calcium, and magnesium settled where I wanted them. With that, I started into dosing All for Reef based on my calculated consumption. I can't imagine what is consuming it as it was all dry rock that I used and there is no coral, yet. I test with kits from RedSea. Todays results are attached as a screenshot from an app.

I know that chasing numbers is not the way and learned this with planted tanks. However I never have had such a bear of a time getting consistent numbers in a freshwater setup. My end-game is to keep soft corals only, perform 10% water changes weekly, keep using homemade DODI water mixed with Instant Ocean (regular), and keep the most basic of livestock in the way of water parameters. The internet is a scary place when hunting down information. If you are in my situation, what works for you? Am I on that treadmill of number chasing without knowing it? I read that the BioCube, when used the same fashion which I am using it, only needs those water changes and the rest is fluff. But I have reservations with the KH being all over the chart.

Sincerely, the utterly confused.

IMG_2263.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back