Do I need more light?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PAR question:
I am starting to add some coral to my tank. I have an apogee par meter that plugs into my laptop and reads out in umols which I guess is equivalent to par numbers people always refer to? Anyway. I have currently 1 Current USA 95W light above the tank. I have a spare one that I could add. Currently running about 60% blue with very little white as I have a lamp near my tank. With the lamp on these are the par numbers. Question. Should I turn up my 1 light to get higher numbers or should I add the 2nd light to spread out the "hot spot" more? Plan is to have a mixed reef tank for now I am just starting and mostly going to be softies and lps.

PAR-MAP-1.jpg
Current Light.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that question is somewhat subjective, but I would say yes for more light. I would aim for minimum 300 up top and 125 on the bottom minimum, but again, thats just me.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your numbers are the equivalent of PAR readings, then I would shoot for 250 just under the surface and 75 at the sand. Those would be my very minimums!

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I installed my other light. Its same brand but lower power. 52W vs 95W. I put the 52W one on the right side and bumped the power up from it. The left one is my main one 95W and put the power down a bit. These are the numbers I am getting now. (reused the same pic just adjusted numbers)

Current-Light2.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I installed my other light. Its same brand but lower power. 52W vs 95W. I put the 52W one on the right side and bumped the power up from it. The left one is my main one 95W and put the power down a bit. These are the numbers I am getting now. (reused the same pic just adjusted numbers)

Current-Light2.jpg
Imo these are better numbers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back