Cheap Lighting

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Is there a cheaper option? Or should I get either of these?
Link
Link

Also, do normal aquarium lights like this Link grow soft coral like star polyps? It has a white blue and red mode and a red, blue only mode.
I need to defer to others on light intensity and spectrum, and if this is what you are referring to..

Lighting Requirements​

The Green Star Polyps require moderate to high light. If it is possible, go for higher intensity lighting conditions. More intense lighting often results in brighter more intense coloration.

Actinic blue lighting will bring out the color of your polyps but Green Star Polyps can survive with most types of light. You can also use traditional T5 fluorescent light.

Another light type that may be used are metal Halides, but metal Halides are usually too strong for the polyps and are not recommended. If the light you are using is too strong, you will notice your coral start to go pale and ‘bleach’ themselves.

Strip lights are better for rectangular tanks. Puck styles are better for cube shaped tanks..
If you have cube this seems pretty good for both fish and coral color..
not seeing you "short" on light as long as real watts are over like 15..

you know you never posted the tank dimensions btw..
lomie.JPG

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Thx for the great suggestion.
Do you know the product name or something?
Just type in Aquaknight led and it will come up. There's a "V2" nano version that's updated, and the one I screenshotted which is the original one, I believe the brand is 'hipargero'

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive used par38s in the past. I used ecoexotics with 60° optics.
Id maybe save up and wait till i had $60-$80 but its a nano. Lol
-d
So is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0PF72P/ref=psdcmw_2975458011_t1_B093BKSW7J good enough for softies?
Its the link you includend

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I need to defer to others on light intensity and spectrum, and if this is what you are referring to..

Strip lights are better for rectangular tanks. Puck styles are better for cube shaped tanks..
If you have cube this seems pretty good for both fish and coral color..
not seeing you "short" on light as long as real watts are over like 15..

you know you never posted the tank dimensions btw..
lomie.JPG
I
I was considering this but a lot of reviews said that it doesn't bring out growth very well

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I was considering this but a lot of reviews said that it doesn't bring out growth very well
Some par #'s.
Works great for low light nano tank
Reviewed in the United States on August 31, 2017
Color: S20 Saltwater

3mo Update
Can't complain about light, quite a few new heads on the duncan. The Kenya tree is open every day. This was taken out of my main tank and was already huge...but it's doing very well with this light.

Added an updated picture

I bought this to use on a 10g Innovative Marine AIO. PAR reading was 220 directly below the light 1" under the water. Drops off considerably on the sand bed. Sand bed had a reading of 102 directly under the light. Corners of the tank had a reading of 53.

Overall, color spectrum is eye pleasing, ability to control multiple channels is a nice feature on a sub $50 light. Duncan's and Zoanthids are fully open. The color blending is awesome on this light, there isn't any disco ball effect.

I'll be purchasing another one to bump up the output and see how some euphyllia do.

49 people found this helpful

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just type in Aquaknight led and it will come up. There's a "V2" nano version that's updated, and the one I screenshotted which is the original one, I believe the brand is 'hipargero'
Ok Ill try

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. For the final decision
Do you think this is good enough to light a part of my tank with medium to high intensity?
Link
I'm mostly going to easy SPS coral such as Zoas, Green Star Polyps, Torch corals, disk corals and possibly an anemone because I have a clownfish pair.

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there is an option to add 2 UV lights to the bulb for around $1. Should I do that or no

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you end up getting that light? I have a similar one
If it's the black screw in light bulb thing, I didn't. I got a 3 bulb ehime T5 unit and a 60$ LED bar.

Bruce99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the black screw in light bulb thing, I didn't. I got a 3 bulb ehime T5 unit and a 60$ LED bar.
Okay thanks, I’d say the bulb does a pretty good job too.

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks, I’d say the bulb does a pretty good job too.
I saw a video review from the Reef Dork and was a bit reluctant so I just went with that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back