Cheap Low Flow Meter

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@erk
Hey I've learned I have no understanding of Arduino programming. In the long run is this a difficult thing to do to get it to display milliliters per minute? I did some quick searches on the programming there are a few written , all for liters per minute which I suppose would work if it would display down .05. But if I'm spending the time and money to build something I want I'd rather it displayed in ml / min.

Might you be able to point me in a Direction where I can learn more about that type of programming?

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@erk
Hey I've learned I have no understanding of Arduino programming. In the long run is this a difficult thing to do to get it to display milliliters per minute? I did some quick searches on the programming there are a few written , all for liters per minute which I suppose would work if it would display down .05. But if I'm spending the time and money to build something I want I'd rather it displayed in ml / min.

Might you be able to point me in a Direction where I can learn more about that type of programming?

To go from liters/min to milliliters/min would be a simple conversion factor in the programming. You could use the same programming you found that displays l/min, but divide that number by 1000 to get ml/min. The main issue isn't the Arduino code, but the flow meter itself. It can only effectively measure down to 300 ml/min. To get down to 50 ml/min, you'll need to go with a very low flow meter. I wasn't able to find any on Amazon. You'll need to go directly to a manufacturer or maybe try McMaster-Carr.

JayJL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake - want to delete this post but cannot see how.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 lines indicate it is a hall effect sensor. Black and Red go to ground and 24V respectively. The yellow is the sense. I'm not familiar with the FMM, but maybe you can use a DMM to measure which is the 24V and ground.

OP
OP
erk

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd update this thread with some more expensive options for flow meters. These are flow meters that can accurately measure in the low mL/min range. These are considered the "economical" versions.

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/mcmillan-flow-100-3-ryton-sensors-for-gases-20-to-100-ml-min/3270000

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/mcmill...e-sensor-for-liquids-13-to-100-ml-min/3270400

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/cole-p...bine-flowmeter-0-2-to-2-gpm-3-8-npt-m/9851690

I don't think you could adapt these to the FMM, but if you have your own controller or know a thing or two about electronics, you could make your own flow controller with it.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm reviving this thread in hopes of better understand the K factor on these flow meters.

I'm running a flow meter for my UV and have yet to get a proper reading. I've tried this controller with the included flow sensor.

I got no reading whatsoever from it, so I ordered a new flow meter (which may be the same meter Neptune uses). I tested it dry by just blowing through the sensor to turn the paddle wheel and got a reading on the screen for the first time. But then when I plumbed the new sensor in and ran water through it, I get no reading again.

I'm now wondering if I need to enter the K factor into the controller in order to get a proper reading from the controller. The controller allows you to do it, however I don't know where to get the K factor. I do see this in the description for the sensor I'm using:

Flow pulse characteristic:F=1.0*Q;Q=L/min

Any help from you smart folks would be appreciated!

EDIT: I tried a K factor of 1 and am now getting a reading that there is actually water flowing. I experimented with different K factors when initially setting things up but I think they were all too high to get a reading. I'm now getting a reading of about 780 GPH which is very close to my manual bucket test result of 720 GPH.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back