AFR clogs dosing tubes and turns milky/cloudy in the dosing container

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, diluting it too much in the container risks bacterial growth and precipitation of calcium carbonate. The idea was just to wash it down the tubing. Many folks do that with other products.
how do people who use more dilute solutions avoid this - My guess is that even at 1/2 strength most of the solutions recommended are at least bacteriostatic?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the premixed stuff about a year ago, but was dosign a 20g tank, and it locked up. The doser pump itself + ares of the tubing crystalized. I actually had to soak my dosing pump heads in vinegar to really clean out the crystallization and get all new tubing. I then started to dillute it in 50% RO water.

Since moving to a larger tank, I am using the undiluted (and mixing my own). I am dosing more, and the daily volume i think has helped (I hope).

OP
OP
C

capt_alaver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across a thread where Hans-Werner mentioned AFR only being stable at full concentration. So yeah, diluting at any rate is a no-go it seems.

I'll have to figure out how to connect my RO and AFR lines together. Either that or constantly deal with tubes clogging.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what RHF is suggesting is to use a Y fitting / adapter. Basically TM AFR is using one branch, the ATO is using the 2nd branch. Each side will exit the bottom of the Y / fitting and get flushed. This line can be above the sumps waterline.

Page 2 in this thread has a image of an adapter:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do people who use more dilute solutions avoid this - My guess is that even at 1/2 strength most of the solutions recommended are at least bacteriostatic?

It’s only an issue for organic formulations. I don’t know how much calcium formate it takes to prevent growth, but you may be correct that some dilution is ok.

OP
OP
C

capt_alaver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's only so much I can do to increase the frequency if I only need 2ml over a 24 hour period. My pump (Kamoer X1 Pro) goes as low as 0.1ml per dose but it's a total crap shoot at anything below 0.5ml. I don't think hobby grade pumps are designed for microliter precision dosing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's only so much I can do to increase the frequency if I only need 2ml over a 24 hour period. My pump (Kamoer X1 Pro) goes as low as 0.1ml per dose but it's a total crap shoot at anything below 0.5ml. I don't think hobby grade pumps are designed for microliter precision dosing.
then maybeyou dont need that pump

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion you might be overanalyzining

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your excellent advice and answers you have already given. It was our evening already and I was at home and offline.

The clogging can be avoided to let the end of the dosing line end directly at the water surface, so that the line touches or is just above the water's surface.

The even better way it to connect the ends of the dosing line and of the auto top-off line with a Y-fitting for the hose. In this way the end of the common line is regularily flushed with auto top-off water and won't clog.

Unfortunately All-For-Reef can't be diluted much, maybe 5 %. Otherwise microbial growth in the container and in the dosing line gets more likely.

The black fibrous microbial filaments that might grow look like dark algae. In our experience they are harmless and do not alter the solution significantly but they are ugly and at some point may also clogg the pump or something else, although we have never seen such extensive growth.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube inside the dosing container is rigid and goes all the way to the bottom. I don't fill the container up all the way with AFR. My tank only needs ~2ml per day so it would sit there for years if it was full, haha.

I'm using pre-made AFR.

It's not a small amount of buildup on the ends of the line. The entire line is full of crystallized particles and requires a full replacement.

20240207_114023.jpg
You don't need to fully replace the tubing. Just pinch it to break up the material and then run some hot water through the tubing. I just did this for my own and it is good as new. I dose 8 times per day and don't have nearly as much build up as yours... but you may actually want to dose fewer times so that more liquid will pass through each time. it is inevitable that you'll need to clean the tubing and reservoir but it shouldn't need to be more than once every few months, if that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back