A- and K+ elements in All For Reef solution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Hello Sir, I have been dosing AFR for my 55g system with success for 2 years. But with my refugium and coral growth, my latest ICP test shows too low levels of several trace elements. I had the idea to add both a- and k+ solutions to my AFR mix in order to have everything under one dosing pump. To calculate i would simply add x doses of each elements bottle where x is the number of daily doses of my AFR container. Can i do that to « boost » the concentration of elements in AFR ? Many thanks !

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Hello Sir, I have been dosing AFR for my 55g system with success for 2 years. But with my refugium and coral growth, my latest ICP test shows too low levels of several trace elements. I had the idea to add both a- and k+ solutions to my AFR mix in order to have everything under one dosing pump. To calculate i would simply add x doses of each elements bottle where x is the number of daily doses of my AFR container. Can i do that to « boost » the concentration of elements in AFR ? Many thanks !
I wouldn't suggest doing this. You might want to address the deficits individually. But please read this post in an alternate thread. If your deficit is related to one or more of these elements, you may want to think about it again. This person was concerened about iodine testing low:

Not unusual, Iodine, along with iron and manganese, are metabolized by bacteria so rapidly, that they often show low on ICP test results. If you are using the AFR, your system is getting the iodine it needs. But you can always supplement with some Lugol’s iodine if you are uncomfortable with the assumption.

OP
OP
DarkTonio

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't suggest doing this. You might want to address the deficits individually. But please read this post in an alternate thread. If your deficit is related to one or more of these elements, you may want to think about it again. This person was concerened about iodine testing low:

Not unusual, Iodine, along with iron and manganese, are metabolized by bacteria so rapidly, that they often show low on ICP test results. If you are using the AFR, your system is getting the iodine it needs. But you can always supplement with some Lugol’s iodine if you are uncomfortable with the assumption.
Thank you for the response. I am low and for some « very low », for vanadium, boron, iron, manganese, iodine, fluor and zinc. Would you still advise for individual dosing? That would be a lot of bottles to buy and dose… Thats why i thought i could just « boost » AFR with a- and k+

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing with all for reef for a while now it’s a good product i plan to keep using it, I’ve noticed in every bottle some kind of debris in it, look’s like little blood worm’s in it has anyone else noticed this, what is that stuff ?

OP
OP
DarkTonio

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't suggest doing this. You might want to address the deficits individually. But please read this post in an alternate thread. If your deficit is related to one or more of these elements, you may want to think about it again.
Dear Mr Ekus, sorry to bother you again but I found the product « Pro-Minerals » on the TP web site. I watched a video explaining it is a- and K+ together in powder form. Maybe a solution for my several deficits (vanadium, boron, iron, manganese, iodine, fluor and zinc.) ?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Mr Ekus, sorry to bother you again but I found the product « Pro-Minerals » on the TP web site. I watched a video explaining it is a- and K+ together in powder form. Maybe a solution for my several deficits (vanadium, boron, iron, manganese, iodine, fluor and zinc.) ?
Sorry, but Pro Mineral is not available in the US.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always supplement with some Lugol’s iodine if you are uncomfortable with the assumption.
Potassium iodide is much better than Lugol’s for iodine.

FWIW, if you want to supplement iodine, I do not recommend preparations that contain I2 (such as Lugols). It is reactive and not one of the main natural forms present in seawater. I2 may alter the form of other trace elements, such as iron, and impact their bioavailability in ways not easily predicted.

I recommend looking for an iodide material, such as sodium or potassium iodide, if you believe iodine dosing might be useful in your system.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a liquid brand recommended?
DIY is inexpensive and very pure. Look for pure potassium iodide on Amazon. Here’s an example of what you can use: https://a.co/d/28uROCZ

Potassium iodide is 77% iodine by weight.

Dissolve 1 g KI in 1 L RO/DI. That solution contains 1 mg KI per mL.

So 2.5 mL of that solution added per 100 L of aquarium water will boost iodine by 0.02 ppm. :)

I think you can dose this at least a couple of times a week in a typical tank.

That all said, I'm also not of the opinion that iodine dosing is useful for most reef tanks. :)

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is inexpensive and very pure. Look for pure potassium iodide on Amazon. Here’s an example of what you can use: https://a.co/d/28uROCZ

Thanks. Have always used Lugol’s when I needed to add. Because I don't very often the bottle and dropper never aged well. This seems like a more viable solution actually.

Thanks again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back