Nyos Active Elements vs individual dosing

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following a recent ICP test, I’d like to correct a couple of deficiencies. Not ready to go full moonshine but I would like to know anyone’s experience with Nyos Active elements. I’m considering this but on my last ICP, my K+ was fine at 434 mg/l. I could benefit from the other elements found in Active Elements, however. It’s also a cheaper option than buying the individual elements.

So my question is: Should I be worried about my potassium increasing too drastically if I go with the Nyos option?

Also, I dose AFR daily, and my Ca on the ICP was 439 mg/l. I could simply increase my daily AFR dose but my Ca has been creeping up and was 500 (salifert) a couple of days ago. That might have something to do with me decreasing my light schedule by a few hours/day. It seems that my coralline algae growth has slowed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR dosing instructions are based on both Ca and ALK numbers

This AM my alk was 7.3 and previously was about 9.3. I had added a chemipure elite bag a few days ago to decrease my nutrients, then I had a couple of corals not looking well. So I attributed the change to the chemipure elite.

I added 12g of Alkalin 8.3 to my 115 gallon system this morning.

I’d like to boost Ni, Zn, Mn, and F. Also on my ICP, Cr, Co, and Fe were zero. However the set point is also zero for those elements.

Active elements includes Fe, K, Co, Mn, Zn, Ni, and Cr so that covers most of what I need, but again the issue of potassium being fine as of last ICP.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR dosing instructions are based on both Ca and ALK numbers

I understand, I just do not agree with going the calcium route. IMO, it is poor practice to dose AFR based on calcium alone. It can lead to excessive alkalinity, large alk swings, or levels too low. I would dose AFR based on alkalinity, unless calcium actually got too high (>550 ppm, IMO).

My expectation is that the potassium in many of these products is minimal, since it does not always deplete at all (it did not deplete in my tank), so a mixed product is likely fine, but few of these companies actually list ingredient concentrations.

That said, there are trace element solutions without K. Brightwell Replenish, for example:

Guaranteed Analysis
Zinc (min) 0.061 mg/oz.; Iron (min) 0.0063 mg/oz.; Manganese 0.00344 mg/oz.; (min)
Cobalt (min) 0.000344 mg/oz.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I just do not agree with going the calcium route. IMO, it is poor practice to dose AFR based on calcium alone. It can lead to excessive alkalinity, large alk swings, or levels too low. I would dose AFR based on alkalinity, unless calcium actually got too high (>550 ppm, IMO).
My Ca may actually be that high. The top end of Salifert test limit is 500 ppm. So me saying my Ca is 500 ppm is really a guess. It’s at least 500 ppm. That’s what I should have said.

But I dose AFR based on Ca AND ALK levels. Not Ca alone.

Thanks for the lead on the Brightwell product. That’s probably available at my LFS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ca may actually be that high. The top end of Salifert test limit is 500 ppm. So me saying my Ca is 500 ppm is really a guess. It’s at least 500 ppm. That’s what I should have said.

But I dose AFR based on Ca AND ALK levels. Not Ca alone.

Thanks for the lead on the Brightwell product. That’s probably available at my LFS

With the Salifert kit, use a second syringe of titrant to get to the endpoint, and add the values together to get the actual value. If you do not get to the endpoint, there's a test error of some sort, which if the ICP from a reliable company comes back as 439 ppm, may well be the case.

I'd also test the kit on some new salt water.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think I dosed some Calcium Chloride per the AFR instructions after I got the ICP back from Triton. This was in November.
I did a 5 day black out to battle what I think were dinos. After that was when I decreased my light schedule and saw the Ca rise.

But I will make note of Salifert readings vs ICP. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back