Another Tropic Marin All-For-Reef Question

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My primary supplement for alk/mag/calc is kalkwasser. I also use AFR. Since getting my major elements stable, I have been lowering my AFR dose slightly to try to drop down my alk slightly. Its basically just buffering the numbers at this point. The reason I use AFR is for trace elements. I am down to a daily dose of 2.4ml of AFR per day in a 109 gallon total volume reef. With that small of a dose, is it possible I am even seeing a trace benefit? Would I be better off to consider a trace element dosing program such as Captiv8 that doesnt buffer the major elements? Thank you.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if there’s any benefit in that amount of water with such a small dose.. hans or lou would be your best bet to answer that. My tank I dose 80ml a day and I see the benefits for sure! I’m sps dominated and 300 gallons wet.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Troylee the dose amount vs total water volume does not seem like it would add much. I'd shoot an email to Tropic Marin via their portal. They will get back to you within a day or two.

With regards to other products I don't know. I use TM AFR and similar to Troylee above I am at 80 ml/day in my 210 mixed reef keeping alk at 8.5 (ish) and ca at 450 (ish).

It could be that Kalkwasser is able to maintain everything for you. Have you run any quality ICP test (Oceanmo or ATI) before and after to compare? You may not need anything yet is all I'm suggesting so nothing to worry about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back