Cheap pH meter any good?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap amazon pH meter (I think the link is the one I have but I am not sure). It is one of those that comes with 3 calibrations packets each at a different pH. I have calibrated it but the powder in the packet seems to never fully dissolve. I have been looking at getting the hanna pH checker plus to get something more accurate, but I was curious if anyone has ever compared a nicer pH test/meter to one of these cheap ones I have.

Anyone else have experience with the cheap pH meters like this?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap amazon pH meter (I think the link is the one I have but I am not sure). It is one of those that comes with 3 calibrations packets each at a different pH. I have calibrated it but the powder in the packet seems to never fully dissolve. I have been looking at getting the hanna pH checker plus to get something more accurate, but I was curious if anyone has ever compared a nicer pH test/meter to one of these cheap ones I have.

Anyone else have experience with the cheap pH meters like this?

I don’t have a pH meter — although thinking about getting one. The specs on the Amazon one seems to be about the same as the Hanna. Obviosuly just one point but are you getting 7.0 from RODI?

As to getting packets to dissolve I’d use 75-80F water in a glass jar and shake it like crazy.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an absolute garbage PH stick (bought it and a TDS meter on Amazon for like 15 bucks). It's usually a couple hits off....usually +/- .2 than a more accurate test, but I use it just to spot check stability etc. My tank on the PH stick is usually 8 - 8.1 during the day, a more reliable test usually hits around 8.2/8.3. So it's "close enough" for what I'm using it for. If it's calibrated correctly, it can tell you what you need to know.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say depends on what you want it for. You generally get what you pay for in this hobby. If you’re really trying to hit a particular ph number this might not be accurate enough. If you want to track stability and know if you’re way off it probably will do that. Keep testing it with control liquids to know it’s reading correctly. So I guess I’m with banjo up there.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the Hanna pH sticks get pretty poor reviews, so I doubt this one is any worse.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple test would be to compare the results of a traditional pH test using a reagent in a water sample against what the readings on the device are.

With Amazon, it is easy enough to return if you don't like the performance.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the cheap pH meters off Amazon for $15-20 before I got an Apex. It works fairly well when it's calibrated and my only complaint is that it's pretty slow to stabilize on a reading. It's usually +/-.1 from the Apex probe.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one that has an error range less than +/-0.2 since thats a pretty significant difference in my opinion. However, I am not going to spend over a hundred.

I was considering the pinpoint pH meter, but I am not sure if it is more accurate than a $40 probe kit with the same appearance (I don't know much about these)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 30 on a Milwaukee ph600 thinking it would be better than the Amazon stuff. It’s terrible. I have to calibrate it nearly every use. The Milwaukee single use packets go fast like that. So I bought a liter of 7.0 solution off of Amazon. I have a mason jar that the meter fits in. I poured just enough calibration fluid in to keep the probe tips moist. I store it in the jar with the lid closed. But once I’m out of fluid I’ll probably spend more money on a better unit.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the $20/aprox Amazon pH meter. Did the three solution calibration. Then tested my tank 3 times. I had my LFS test my water, they showed 8.1. I tested my water with an API test and was showing 8.1. The Amazon pH meter after calibration showed 7.7, 7.9 and 8.0. I returned it.

Back