cheato not growing. hair algea out competing it.

Michael pugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my refugium i have a fist size of cheato in there. the hair algea is out competing it and growing like wildfire. I dont have any algea in my display which is why I'm thinking it's ok that it is. am I wrong? the tank is newly set up also if that helps troubleshoot why I couldn't get cheato to grow at all.

I have a small power head in the chamber to add the flow and keep the detritus stirred up so my skimmer can remove it and a plant bulb on a clip light.

I'm not running filter socks cause I just hate them. 1st chamber is a xport brick from brightwell that sits right under the drain pipe.

po4 is at .02ppm and no3 is at 10ppm

I'm keep mostly zoas and lps all livestock is healthy
20180607_051051.jpeg

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried scrubbing it off regularly to keep it in check? I would think that if it's not growing in your display then you are fine.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your flow like. I know spinning the chaeto helps ensure that the parts at the bottom of the ball get light and help remove the GHA/prevent it from growing back

OP
OP
Michael pugh

Michael pugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flow in that chamber is enough to keep the detritus and cheato ball tumbling. every other water change I clean a chamber in my sump and when I do It's scrubbed one wall of my fuge chamber to remove the gha. I'm just really not sure if it's a good algea to have in the fuge as long as it's not in the display.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just need to keep up with removing the hair algae, and eventually the chaeto will get big enough that it starts to out-compete the hair algae.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers are not horrible for No3 and P04.

Your Refugium light may not be strong enough to allow the cheato to out compete. You may need to get a bigger chunk of the cheato as well. What light are you using ?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally agree with Larry. You will need to manually remove the hair algae.

kwhyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro will not outcompete nuisance algae without a little work. I'm one of the crazy ones that uses caulerpa but there is some chaeto in there. I still get algae.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have same problem and the chaeto has died off but the hair algae is growing fast and i saw a couple strands in the display so what sould i do? should i shut ref lights off for a bit to kill off hair algae or what should i do?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from personal experience, a strong refugium grow light, tumbling water current and some stomatella snails to clean the GHA will take you from this,
20171210_170306 (2).jpg
to this.
IMG_5275.JPG
Harvesting out two hand fulls a week.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try placing a larger size/more chaeto in the refugium. The smaller chaeto may not be big enough to outcompete the more abundant GHA

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try placing a larger size/more chaeto in the refugium. The smaller chaeto may not be big enough to outcompete the more abundant GHA
i added a power head as i did not have one in the refug and going to get some healthy chaeto today as the original was small and unhealthy i believe so i will try it again, i think with this advise it should be good..

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back