check out a drain mod for an old ASM Skimmer

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello This old ASM skimmer is pretty basic in design . Water leaves the skimmer thru the black stand pipe which slides up & down for water level adjust. the standpipe came with a foam tube to catch the water as it spills out of the top . It' creates a lot of salt creep & is noisy. I did a modification to channel the water down & enter the sump just inches under the water.
Can You see any back flow issues?
I can't ,but would like more eyes on it to see if I missed something. Thanks !
HPIM9190.JPG this is the stock design HPIM9189.JPG this is the pvc mod. Any air can leave thru the tee. It's an asm g4 x. I call it the rocket skimmer cause it's big !

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with that whatsoever -been doing this for years. Put a cap on the tee, drill a hole in the top, then drill a hole in the side an take some 3/8 hose and connect the pumps air intake to the now vented cap for a quieter and less salt creep prone venturi as well.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with that whatsoever -been doing this for years. Put a cap on the tee, drill a hole in the top, then drill a hole in the side an take some 3/8 hose and connect the pumps air intake to the now vented cap for a quieter and less salt creep prone venturi as well.

+1 and I still love the old workhorse of the skimmer family. Is that an older ASM G3 by chance?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! it's an asm g4x . The thing works great & easy to adjust ! Nice & simple.
No issue with that whatsoever -been doing this for years. Put a cap on the tee, drill a hole in the top, then drill a hole in the side an take some 3/8 hose and connect the pumps air intake to the now vented cap for a quieter and less salt creep prone venturi as well
I can try the airline mod easy enough .

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't but saw the mesh mod. It still has the Sedra needle wheel. I would be interested in a more modern, less foot print pump though. then I could play with a mesh design mod. Would be interesting to see how it works.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do Ya know, this cleaning the pump is blowing very fine bubbles between the body & volute( cover plate) . & the o rings in the body are leaking a" little." The o rings are getting old & stretched even with silicone grease on them. food grade of course. It's time for replace. Also regarding the mod @ rockskimmerflo mentioned. I placed my palm over the top of the tee. I felt a vacuum . then put a piece of cellophane the skimmer imeadiatly ceased bubbles & water level shot up .so I started poking & enlarging a hole in the vent. I then stuck the air intake line & stuck it in the hole dfinettly not sealed & it repeated the bubbles stopping . I can see it needs this vent to drain properly . However this loads up the sump with bubbles & to the display. And the air intake there won't work. No problem though I have a sock under the drain now wrorks ok for the short term. Needs a diy bubble trap like Flipper did. .Any way I wish I had studied water dynamics or something ! LOL. so it's off to see if I can find a newer ,smaller & stronger pump. Then I could play with the mesh mod. Thanks for the insight !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon ! I ended up ordered another pump. Last night. The Volute is now blowing a lot more bubbles. When I get this installed I'll play with the mesh modification. Another bad move was for me to put some food grade silicone grease to the adjust/drain pipe. Now the thing just slides all the way down ! ;Facepalm

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon ! I ended up ordered another pump. Last night. The Volute is now blowing a lot more bubbles. When I get this installed I'll play with the mesh modification. Another bad move was for me to put some food grade silicone grease to the adjust/drain pipe. Now the thing just slides all the way down !
Glad you're getting it dialed in and figuring out all the dos and donts!

With regard to your prior post about the Tee fitting sucking a vacuum and not working with the air intake there, I dont think you throughly read or understood my post. You need a vent in the top of the Tee in the form of a cap with a hole in it. You put the air intake in a separate hole in the side of the cap, not the vent hole. This works, there is no way it wont unless some part of those instructions are not followed. The air intake is quieted by this as well as fed more humid air which delays the buildup of salt crust in the venturi.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll check it out. This will be down the road though.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back