Check out my new corals - Par meter

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped some coin on a handful of coral this weekend and i should have everything by the end of this week. I am a zoa/paly and mushroom guy so thats what most of this is. Some of this pics below are WYSIWYG and some are just a representation. If i wasnt at work i would upload all of them.

Since i dropped a ton of money it only makes sense to get a par meter and it doesn't look like the club will have one anytime soon. If anyone wants to go in on a par meter with me let me know, we can discuss details. Otherwise im going to pay for the whole thing myself. I absolutely have to get one.

Regarding the jawbreakers i purchased all babies. The one pic is a cluster of them that you can see 3 of but there is 4. So i got 6 regular JB and 2 kryptonite JB. Some other zoas i got were JF cry babies, JF blood shot, CB golden mayan sun, CB punk rocker, CB orange hornets, CB blonde hair blue eye B****, CB black widow, CB disco inferno, CB fruit loops, CB white Zombies, pink hippos, mohawks, halle berries, pink kraks, butt muncher. Shown in the picture is a bounce mushroom, a bloodshot krak, a Stratosphere, and a hallucination (very nervous about getting those 4. I am talking with a vendor now about acquiring a walt disney and JF homewrecker as well.

So down the road when these bad boys grow out the club will benefit and i will have some stuff to put in the club frag tank we are talking about doing if that ever happens.

IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way, Bulk Reef Supply did a video on par meters a few weeks ago and did some extensive testing. They pretty much found out that both Apogee models are crap and have flaws. I just spoke with BRS and they actually recommend that a seneye is the way to go to obtain accurate par measurements. So that's what I think I'm going to do unless someone knows of a better way to go about it. If I get the seneye I would only use it once in a while to check par readings, I would not keep it in my tank because I already have a controller that monitors the tank. With it only being $200 I would probably just buy it myself and let members of the club borrow it. In my opinion a par meter doesn't need to be super accurate because if a reading is 200 par but it's actually 220 or 180, is really going to effect the coral that much? No. Use the par meter as a guide. Then by observing your corals daily you can tell if they are getting too much or not enough light.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome acquisitions. If you guys want a PAR Meter, prior to us starting the presentation next weekend bring the subject up and lets see what people have to say. If 90 of the audience says that want a par meter we will basically have no choice. The club is everyones, not just mine or the boards, so bring the subject up and if the majority of the people are down, then I will order one wholesale.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ended up buying one. I need it before the corals come thursday so i called apogee to get their side of the story on the BRS test results and video and they really are having some serious issues. However, the 510 model is only 2 weeks away from being complete/fixed/updated so they sold me the 200 model which will get me close enough for what im doing and when the 510 is ready to ship they will exchange it with the 200 ill have in a few days. So basically in a few weeks im getting the new 510 model for the price of the 200 model which is over a $100 savings. I couldn't pass it up.

Apogee customer service was amazing.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a whole show with 52 episodes showing the set up of a 160 gallon tank on YouTube called 52 weeks of reefing: BRS160. It was a ton of help for me, but then again I'm new to it all. There are probably things an experienced reefer could pick up from it. I actually suggested the Seneye in the PAR meter thread. I don't have a controller yet so I'll end up buying the seneye in a few weeks when I need it.

Anyway, nice stuff! Love the colors. Pics to come after they arrive?

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, ill get some pictures.

One if the reasons i went with the apogee is because after they make all the corrections and build the new ones its supposed to better then the seneye.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone see any problem with the photo below? There is only 6 boxes! Should be 7! One package from cali got delayed at airport and wont be coming till tomorrow. They are zoas so hopefully they make it.

Out of all these vendors, jason fox had the best packaging. It was unreal. Each zoa i bought was completely opened when i opened the box. Wish i would have took pics. Got the par meter in today too, perfect timing.

Also ordered a gryphon band saw today, split it with a buddy.

IMG_1488.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back