Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small hole in the return line right under the water surface combined with the return nozzle facing up near the surface is all you need to do.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never, ever use a check valve in the conventional manner. It is doomed to fail, and that's a given. The only way I'd use one is as a reverse check valve....which is my guess to the answer of this question:

.....There is only one, semi sensible reason to use one; and I defy anyone to guess what it is LOL.

Here's an explanation of a reverse check valve:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Scurvy Just thought you'd like to see another check valve debate. Also the video.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy Just thought you'd like to see another check valve debate. Also the video.

I kept mine installed however my backflow when powers out doesnt drain much and I have ample room in the sump so even if it does fail im safe. My main reasoning for using was to keep from disturbing the fuge everytime i cut/lose power.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them on my pumps. I don't have a basement and everything is on the same level in my house. I have 2 tanks, one is 45 feet from my infloor sump. The second is 25 feet from the same infloor sump. When I had the house built, I had a pit installed in the floor of my fish room. I have plenty of room in the sump, plus I put in anti-siphon devices. I don't like getting all the air blown back into my tanks after a powerfail. Since the checkvalves are right above the pumps, when I need to pull a pump for service, the checkvalve comes out with it and gets cleaned. I also installed union/ball valves so that I can close the lines to hold the water in the lines during maintenance. Someone else mentioned the issue with water rushing back through the pumps and having issues. I was seeing something similar, my DCP pump would give an error if I turned them off then back on before the lines had drained. Checkvalves have their place.

Back