Check your household CO2 levels... you might be surprised

drdripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels were over 2000ppm, which is enough to cause drowsiness in humans. I found out after getting a CO2 meter (Aranet4), although this is not an endorsement for that brand in particular. However, I do that knowing the levels of CO2 in your house is worthwhile. Once I took actions to reduce my CO2 levels, pH in my aquarium (a number I have been struggling with) steadily began increasing by the day. See the graphs and images below.

Screensho.jpg

Before I got the meter, pH had ranged from 7.4 to 7.8. After I got the meter, I began keeping CO2 below 1000ppm by just opening a window during the day. Now it ranges from 7.6 to 8.0.
IMG_6022.jpg

Here's a picture of the meter, this is what it looks like when I have the window open and two people are home.

I probably should have suspected this before I got the meter, but I had assumed that AC in my building (quite powerful) would circulate fresh air from outside. If it does, it certainly isn't enough.

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC just recirculate air in the home. We typically see a decrease in Ph in summer months when people begin closing windows and relying on the AC. Curious if you’ve done anything else to decrease CO2 in your home ?

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. While I have my skimmers plumbed to outside air (an old/unused chimney vent), I'd be curious what my CO2 levels are anyway. My home office is in the basement and fatigue is a constant battle.

Last edited:

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder, just aired out the house being a cool day 97 degrees! Wish I was joking! But yeah I just open the doors and turn on all bathroom exhausts and ceiling fans every couple of weeks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted this before so my apologies if this has been said, but had a dude send me a message that he was on sleeping pills and had all kind of health problems like headaches, lack of sleep, etc. Got a co2 meter for his tanks, was way over the limit on the meter and opened his windows for 30 minutes a day. A few days later all of the headaches, fatigue and sleeping issues went away.

IMO, this is going to be more and more of a problem if summers are going to be like this one.

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just got this one today @danielm5 Seems to be pretty easy to setup and gives readings quickly after you turn it on. My readings in the home were a bit higher than I expected.
@ncjeepguy75 thanks for the update. I got one too about two days ago. It was showing higher than 1500ppm. Now I try to open a door and usually I put a fan to push air out to lower CO2. It works well but I wonder what I'll do in winter.
If anyone is looking for a no so expensive CO2 monitoring device, I definitely say give this one a try.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back