checking milwaukee ma887

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired of measuring devices i bought a milwaukee ma887. comes with distilled water and 1.025 reference solution. when checking the 1.025 reads 1.026, 34psu within there error. should i just set the salinity of my tank, using this, at 1.027 to compensate. Or should i mix up Randy's solution and check it. I assume i should be using Randy's refractometer solution, since it is digital but still a salt water refractometer.
thanks

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the MA887 and basing my readings on it my salinity is 35ppt or 1.027. I don't know why this is but it is close enough.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity on my MA887 was never right. I switched to VeeGee STX and never looked back.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the Milwaukee is great I have used many units and trust it way more than conductivity meters. You just have to understand that there is some margin for error. Your tank will not die because it is at 1.027 not 1.026.

Since my detached retina I struggle to read analog meters so I really need a digital read out and the Milwaukee has been the most consistent and lowest maintenance of what I have tried.

OP
OP
M

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, how precise would you think there test solution is.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By trial and error, I have found a few tips that gives me a more consistent, accurate reading. Make sure you calibrate before every use. Completely fill up the eye with sample water. Finally, let your sample sit for at least a minute before reading. Once I started doing those, it has always matched up with whatever solution I have compared it to.

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent back my new MA 887 to Milwaukee Instruments on MY DIME afte 9ne months use. They did not even offer to pay for return. That's a big deal for me. Never again! No Milwaukee for me. After 4 emails for support with one initial response to clean it they finally just instructed me to mail it back and they will send a new one. So I purchased a Tropic Marin Hydrometer. No more electronic "WASTE OF MONEY" Hydrometers.
I agree with you.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, I just make sure to zero it out with RO first every time. I always double check with an analog refractometer because I’m weird but it’s never been off doing it that way.

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine started reading 1.008. I think my animals woild be dead if true. Not much reaction from Milwaukee support until I became a pest with emails. ‍♂️. i bought a Tropic Marin Hydrometer and readings were 1.0238. About the same as when the Milwaukee was working. I cleaned it religiously.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back