ChemChris's Red Sea 750 G2+ Build Thread

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! Long time reefer here but I've mostly kept smaller tanks (55 and under). I took the plunge and bought my first 'adult' tank recently. I intend to keep a mixed reef LPS dominant with a fish load on the higher end.

I purchased the following gear expecting to grow into more as my system demands it.
  • Reefer XXL 750 G2+ System (160 Gal) - White - Red Sea
  • VarioS-6 Controllable DC Return Pump (1720 GPH) - Reef Octopus
  • Regal 200INT 8" Internal Protein Skimmer (VarioS) - Reef Octopus
  • ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea
  • 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel - RedSea
  • (3) Radion XR15 G6 Pro LED Light - EcoTech Marine
  • Versa Dosing Pump 4 Pack with Base Station - EcoTech Marine
  • 700 Watt Helio PTC Smart Heater - Innovative Marine
  • (2) ReefWave 45 Pump with Controller (3960 GPH) - RedSea
  • Component 1+, 2+, 3+ Bundle - Aquaforest

I purchased the tank and rock in December and spent about 2 hours a night for 3 weeks breaking apart the rock and gluing it back together using thick gel super glue and E-Marco 400. I was inspired by the HNSA video from BRS. I wanted negative space for flow and aesthetics, but wanted to still provide horizontal space for corals and space for fish to swim and hide. I made a PVC cage with the same dimensions as my tank so I could see how it would look inside the tank.

Starting out breaking the rocks
Starting Out Breaking the Rock

Ideas taking shape
PXL_20231218_193253920-EDIT.jpg

I eventually broke this down. It looked too 'intentional' and 'stacky'.
PXL_20231217_013108874.jpg

Arcticreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your attention to detail. I've ordered a 750 G2+ as well to upgrade current system. I look forward to more posts of this build and especially pics of your sump layout, 60 control panel setup and wiring of power bars. With all my GHL equipment i gotta find space to install 2 bars.

OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hired a moving company a few weeks ago who sent over 3 guys. Luckily they were athletes and super strong. I tried to help. Wow that tank was heavy. It was difficult to move over soggy Florida grass. We ended up leaving it in the crate and putting it on a dolly since the crate was designed to take bumps.
A week later (after my leak test was complete) I had a LFS do a water delivery. Even though I hired a structural engineer I was still nervous about the floor holding that much weight. I dont think I slept that night- every noise woke me up.

Here is how the rockwork turned out in the end. After I showed this picture to a coworker they said "oh you made baby Yoda" and now I cant unsee it.

PXL_20240131_150015519.jpg

And now, filled with water....

PXL_20240207_192717264.jpg

PXL_20240207_192752431.jpg

I'll add a fuge in the future if Im having trouble with my parameters, but right now with the ReefMat and Skimmer, Im more worried about keeping my water 'too clean'.
PXL_20240207_192844934.jpg

The sump came with the gravity ATO plumbing still attached. I scoured my boxes thinking Id lost the ATO reservoir. Turns out Red Sea doesnt include it anymore, they give you their new ATO instead which looks pretty decent.
PXL_20240207_192908126.jpg

Today is my 7th day dosing Microbacter7. Maybe Ill add some fish next week. Ill post pics of the electrical side after I clean up my wire shame some.

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_203456494.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240128_203456494.MP.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your attention to detail. I've ordered a 750 G2+ as well to upgrade current system. I look forward to more posts of this build and especially pics of your sump layout, 60 control panel setup and wiring of power bars. With all my GHL equipment i gotta find space to install 2 bars.
Thanks!! I ordered some cheap cable raceways but they were too small for the couplings right ouside the controls for my electronics. I had to buy a taller kit which worked out just fine. Im still wrapping all the cables and putting everything into the cable management boxes I got. I'll post some pics before Friday.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hired a moving company a few weeks ago who sent over 3 guys. Luckily they were athletes and super strong. I tried to help. Wow that tank was heavy. It was difficult to move over soggy Florida grass. We ended up leaving it in the crate and putting it on a dolly since the crate was designed to take bumps.
A week later (after my leak test was complete) I had a LFS do a water delivery. Even though I hired a structural engineer I was still nervous about the floor holding that much weight. I dont think I slept that night- every noise woke me up.

Here is how the rockwork turned out in the end. After I showed this picture to a coworker they said "oh you made baby Yoda" and now I cant unsee it.

I'll add a fuge in the future if Im having trouble with my parameters, but right now with the ReefMat and Skimmer, Im more worried about keeping my water 'too clean'.

The sump came with the gravity ATO plumbing still attached. I scoured my boxes thinking Id lost the ATO reservoir. Turns out Red Sea doesnt include it anymore, they give you their new ATO instead which looks pretty decent.

Today is my 7th day dosing Microbacter7. Maybe Ill add some fish next week. Ill post pics of the electrical side after I clean up my wire shame some.
Great looking aquascape!

Arcticreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking great. I did not realize the ATO reservoir is not included anymore. Good to know. Where are you storing your fresh RODI top up water?
Also, can you fit small bags of activated charcoal or phosphate removing media in the thin compartment that has the sponge in it that stops the bubbles?
p.s one thing i am looking forward to in my new 750 is the added length. I had my rocks and thus corals to close to the glass which makes cleaning the glass with a long scrapper (not a flipper) tricky as I kept hitting corals. Check you have enough gaps.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beast of a build you have on your hands here, looks really good so far- i like your scape and dedication, that's for sure! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Your 750 is a fair bit larger than my 4 foot Cade tank. You may find that you are a bit "light" on the lighting though down the road. Here are my PAR readings with the 3 x XR15 Pro's mounted 10" over the surface @ 85%.

I look forward to following your build - best of luck!!

1707688091303.jpeg

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking at the 750 XXL. Out of interest, where have you put your RO Reservoir?

OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beast of a build you have on your hands here, looks really good so far- i like your scape and dedication, that's for sure! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Your 750 is a fair bit larger than my 4 foot Cade tank. You may find that you are a bit "light" on the lighting though down the road. Here are my PAR readings with the 3 x XR15 Pro's mounted 10" over the surface @ 85%.

I look forward to following your build - best of luck!!

1707688091303.jpeg
Wow you might have saved me a lot of money! I just put in my order for a Kraken lid with only 3 light mount cutouts. I think Im going to add another 4 in case I upgrade some day. Did you eventually upgrade to 4 or are you still at 3?

OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking at the 750 XXL. Out of interest, where have you put your RO Reservoir?
So my wife was awesome enough to let me build this out in the living room and I wanted to try and keep everything under the tank if I could. I went for a 6g water jug. The guy from the LFS that delivered my water told me Im going to end up changing it out as Ill have to fill it twice a week. He suggested the IM 15 gallon one. Right now Im filling it about once a week so I may keep this for a while. I like it because it doesn't have a large footprint.

PXL_20240215_032338587.jpg

Please forgive my wire shame. I tried to get everything into two cable management boxes, but the fit was too tight so I bought a larger box that's about the size of a PC tower. If you buy it, get it from bed bath and beyond. Its cheaper there and you can use their 20% off coupon. Ill do more pics of that side once I clean up my wires.

OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. I did not realize the ATO reservoir is not included anymore. Good to know. Where are you storing your fresh RODI top up water?
Also, can you fit small bags of activated charcoal or phosphate removing media in the thin compartment that has the sponge in it that stops the bubbles?
p.s one thing i am looking forward to in my new 750 is the added length. I had my rocks and thus corals to close to the glass which makes cleaning the glass with a long scrapper (not a flipper) tricky as I kept hitting corals. Check you have enough gaps.
Appreciate the heads up! I left room for my tunze scaper but youre right, I should consider a long arm scraper too. Ill be checking distance this weekend.
Yes I can fit small bags of charcoal or seachem under in that baffle area. Id probably have to cut the sponge some. FYI the ReefMat comes with a chamber basket underneath for that exact purpose. I havent put anything in it yet as my tank is so new.

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing! I wish my cables were that tidy :). I have a 180cm tank now which I have had for 7 years and am thinking of this upgrade so following this tank build is brilliant.

One question, for your aquascape, did you use acrylic rods to keep it in place?

OP
OP
chemchris

chemchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing! I wish my cables were that tidy :). I have a 180cm tank now which I have had for 7 years and am thinking of this upgrade so following this tank build is brilliant.

One question, for your aquascape, did you use acrylic rods to keep it in place?
Thanks! I didnt use rods, I used BRS extra thick super glue to for a temporary hold. Then after 24 hours I would come in with E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar. I also used the two little fishies epoxy in some critical support areas, but in retrospect I might have been ok with just the mortar and super glue. Its really solid and holds incredibly well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back