Chemiclean

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I was getting bothered by the amount of cyanobacteria invading my 6 month old tank and affecting my corals, so I resorted to dosing Chemiclean. It worked as advertised, pretty much wiping it out. I did the recommended 20% water change after 48 hours and was able to siphon up the last remnants of it. No ill effects to the fish or corals. Pretty happy with a better looking tank. I'll work on the cause, which I think was that my nitrates had nearly bottomed out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For what it's worth, I was getting bothered by the amount of cyanobacteria invading my 6 month old tank and affecting my corals, so I resorted to dosing Chemiclean. It worked as advertised, pretty much wiping it out. I did the recommended 20% water change after 48 hours and was able to siphon up the last remnants of it. No ill effects to the fish or corals. Pretty happy with a better looking tank. I'll work on the cause, which I think was that my nitrates had nearly bottomed out.
You mentioned working on cause. Many refer to this as an algae or bloom. It is actually a combo of algae and bacteria giving it - its name. Cyano is a common photosynthetic organismfound in an array of colors such as green, purple and black. Like us human when we consume high levels of sugar, oyur waste begins to bloom - same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
So as for cause, some typical items are :

- Not Enough Air Bubbles: Typically, a protein skimmer fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Too Much Reef Food: Overstocking / overfeeding your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Premature Live Rocks :Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which becomes a breeding ground for red slime algae
- Infrequent Water Changes: If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes will dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Poor water Source: Using water source which contains nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out a welcome mat for cyano
- Slow running water will run Red: Inadequate water flow is one leading cause of cyano bloomsas slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned working on cause. Many refer to this as an algae or bloom. It is actually a combo of algae and bacteria giving it - its name. Cyano is a common photosynthetic organismfound in an array of colors such as green, purple and black. Like us human when we consume high levels of sugar, oyur waste begins to bloom - same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
So as for cause, some typical items are :

- Not Enough Air Bubbles: Typically, a protein skimmer fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Too Much Reef Food: Overstocking / overfeeding your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Premature Live Rocks :Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which becomes a breeding ground for red slime algae
- Infrequent Water Changes: If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes will dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Poor water Source: Using water source which contains nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out a welcome mat for cyano
- Slow running water will run Red: Inadequate water flow is one leading cause of cyano bloomsas slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development
Thank you, I really appreciate you commenting. As for your points:

-I do have an in tank skimmer. It sometimes produces microbubbles which kind of annoy me but other than visually I haven't noticed any problems. I agree with you it is a benefit to removing organics. Also I understand it helps with oxygenation of the water.
-Possibly I am overstocked, or at least maxed out. I have 10 smaller fish and at least 15-20 CuC (snails, shrimps, crabs and one urchin) in a 55 gallon. My largest fish is the flame angel in my avatar. I feed about 1 cube of frozen food per day.
-I cycled a good amount of dry rock and Carribsea sand for about 45 days before beginning to add fish. Cycled using Dr. Tims with ammonium chloride.
- I do a 10% water change weekly without fail, using Imigitarium Pacific Ocean water.
-I think I have decent flow, but have been thinking up upping that.

Love this forum and getting constructive input from other reefers. I have no reefer buddies, just my LFS acquaintances.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - how much extra aeration did you put in?

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - how much extra aeration did you put in?
I got an airpump and stone and aerated with that since the instructions said one MUST increase oxygenation. I can't really quantify it, but it feels like it was enough. After the treatment I removed it, I think I have enough oxygenation normally.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an airpump and stone and aerated with that since the instructions said one MUST increase oxygenation
Believe it or not that does little to add o2. using said product just shut off skimmer, and I personally do large water changes before and after, unless its a slight infection that needs attention. No need for an airstone

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with treating red cyano with chemi-clean. Usually the cyano is from okay flow or a nutrient imbalance. I've had no issues correcting those problems as they crop up

Back