Chemiclean + Sponge

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My 33g has been up for about a year now, and the last 6 months I've had a BAD cyano problem. I'm pretty sure its been part of the ugly phase, but I used dry rock which I assume acted as a blank canvas for this cyano to takeover. Nutrients are super rock solid stable at 7 nitrates .03 phos so its definitely not nutrient related.

I've been blowing off my rocks frequently but it always comes back, so I'm turning to chemical solution (chemiclean) to see if it works in my favor HOWEVER I just purchased a blue plating sponge and after researching, it seems chemiclean kills sponges too. Is this true? if it is I probably will take it out and move it to another tank during treatment. How long before its safe to move the sponge back if thats what I do? Thanks

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemo clean is going to act as an antibiotic so after you use it the good and the bad bacteria that it killed are going to have to build back up again. How long I could not say. If you were into microscopy and knew how to do gram stains you could do a cool experiment and and see the bacteria count before dosing and then after in increments.

Know that I think off it that might be a cool experiment for me to run as a side project.

Not sure about your sponge, but to be safe I would say take it out.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems chemiclean kills sponges too. Is this true?
I've heard but can't personally verify that it's true; I do know though that sponges are basically bacterial sinks that feed on bacteria and cyanobacteria, so nuking the bacteria and cyano in a tank seems to me like it would quite likely have a very negative impact on sponges.

So, personally, I would pull the sponge during treatment.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard but can't personally verify that it's true; I do know though that sponges are basically bacterial sinks that feed on bacteria and cyanobacteria, so nuking the bacteria and cyano in a tank seems to me like it would quite likely have a very negative impact on sponges.

So, personally, I would pull the sponge during treatment.
Yeah I agree 100% I'll definitely pull it and maybe give it a month or so after its clear to put it back in... maybe more

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to wait a month. After your partial water change, use GAC (granulated activated carbon) to remove DOC (dissolved organic carbon). Unless other tank inhabitants show stress add encrusting sponge. What species sponge? Is it photosynthetic?

I have numerous cryptic sponges and ornamental sponges indigenes to the Caribbean.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to wait a month. After your partial water change, use GAC (granulated activated carbon) to remove DOC (dissolved organic carbon). Unless other tank inhabitants show stress add encrusting sponge. What species sponge? Is it photosynthetic?

I have numerous cryptic sponges and ornamental sponges indigenes to the Caribbean.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Yes its a blue plating photosynthetic sponge... I just made a post last night asking when I can safely readd it too haha. I did a 30% water change and added my carbon a few days ago now. So you think its safe to add it back?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its a blue plating photosynthetic sponge... I just made a post last night asking when I can safely readd it too haha. I did a 30% water change and added my carbon a few days ago now. So you think its safe to add it back?
Yes. If other inhabitants show good health, then trust those bio-indicators.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If other inhabitants show good health, then trust those bio-indicators.
Thank you! Added it back today and its looking fine so far. Great looking tank also! I really want to do a soft coral / sponge only tank for my next build, but I need to find space first lol, one day.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used chemi clean on tanks with ornamental sponges with no ill effects. In fact, the ChemiClean eliminated cyno on sponge surface.

Normally, I use toothbrush to clean sponge surface,

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use ChemiClean, I’d go twice as long as the label. Also use your Turkey Baster on the Gravel/Sand-bed, to get the ChemiClean deep into the Sand-bed. Also I’ve used Blue Plating Sponges as a Cyno preventative, so I’d remove it during the treatment. Return it after the Water Change and Charcoal. When your Skimmer settles down put the Blue Plating Sponge back in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back