I wanna keep sponges

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probobly a stupid idea but I wanna try. We are on a vacation right now and we're diving in the carrabian. I went this last summer but decided my tank wouldn't have a chance with sponges.
Now my tank is a year old, I have gorgonias and 2 photosynthetic sponges.
I love some of the sponges I see and I now start wondering if I can keep some.
Something like tube sponges and base sponges along with some encrusting ones.

I have tones and tones of little filter feeder feather dusters along with some full sized ones.

But is it such a bad idea for me to try? I'm cool with dosing food stuff I alrety dose phyto and roids.

Also anyone know where to buy the tube sponges?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For keeping sponges, I'd suggest reading through the following threads (and any links to other threads in my posts in them):

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probobly a stupid idea but I wanna try. We are on a vacation right now and we're diving in the carrabian. I went this last summer but decided my tank wouldn't have a chance with sponges.

I have tones and tones of little filter feeder feather dusters along with some full sized ones.

But is it such a bad idea for me to try? I'm cool with dosing food stuff I alrety dose phyto and roids.

It's not a good idea. I have several sponges that are several years old in my 27 year old tank. The tree sponges are next to impossible to get to live more than a few weeks. The tube sponges are just as bad. The easiest are the elephant ears. Sponges need microscopic food. For example, pods are too big for them. I stir the substrate several times a week to get the microfauna into the water column. Please stick to the gorgs and photosynthetic sponges

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a good idea. I have several sponges that are several years old in my 27 year old tank. The tree sponges are next to impossible to get to live more than a few weeks. The tube sponges are just as bad. The easiest are the elephant ears. Sponges need microscopic food. For example, pods are too big for them. I stir the substrate several times a week to get the microfauna into the water column. Please stick to the gorgs and photosynthetic sponges
Kk

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have set up my display as a Caribbean mixed garden with a focus on biodiversity of micro fauna & fana. Several sea apples, cucumbers, flame scallops and several ornamental sponges: yellow ball, red tree and elephant ear. Several red tree & yellow ball are several years old. Red encrusting sponge is newest addition at 6 months (while not thriving, it is surviving.

I also stir gravel to feed apples & cucumbers stuck to front glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 86

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KP is great! Shoot them an email and tell them what you're looking for. They have been excellent with me. Been a customer for years.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of sponges and tunicates on live rock which I received from Gulf Live Rock a few days ago. Some people say they had success keeping them alive. But from what I am reading it is very difficult because they are filter feeders and it is very hard to provide the microplankton and dissolved organic matter they need. I will try and see what happens.
IMG_1037.jpeg

larreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol
Not gonna happen

Weaverjay101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently experimenting with the same thing. From what I've read they actually get most of their nutrition from dissolved organics with a preference for algae derived DOC. The remainder of their diet consists of microbes that they filter feed. I'm trying a few things with my tank. I removed the skimmer to increase dissolved organics in the water. Added macroalgae. And dose a gallon of phytoplankton everyday. My cryptic sponges are going crazy but my ornamental sponges haven't changed yet.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently experimenting with the same thing. From what I've read they actually get most of their nutrition from dissolved organics with a preference for algae derived DOC. The remainder of their diet consists of microbes that they filter feed. I'm trying a few things with my tank. I removed the skimmer to increase dissolved organics in the water. Added macroalgae. And dose a gallon of phytoplankton everyday. My cryptic sponges are going crazy but my ornamental sponges haven't changed yet.
A GALLON????

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back