Chemiclean didnt work

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 of chemiclean and I have seen really no change in my cyano outbreak at all says full treatment could take up too 48 hrs it's been that and haven't seen any change

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest doing a 20% water change and repeat with another batch. What size tank do you have?

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank but that holds about 10-15 gallons probably closer too 16 tho if I'm not mistaken

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you turn off your skimmer and remove any carbon?

What's your water volume, and how many scoops did you add?

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you turn off your skimmer and remove any carbon?

What's your water volume, and how many scoops did you add?
No skimmer removed carbon 20 gallon tank but only about 16 gallons in a 20 if I'm not mistaken so I went off just my guess of 16 galllons and did a scoop and a half

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do 2 full level scoops of the treatment?
No only did a scoop and a half and the first scoop wasnt completely leveled off will it affect it with something just as simple as not doing a full level scoop

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Day 2 of chemiclean and I have seen really no change in my cyano outbreak at all says full treatment could take up too 48 hrs it's been that and haven't seen any change
It takes a couple of days to start working IF it works. Its an alternative and not a solution in many cases. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high. Often, when there are areas with little flow, detritus builds up and becomes a holding bed for cyano. Water changes are important unlike what s the perception of not doing so which reduces the organic nutrients that feed cyano.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with air bubbles which form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it settles as skim mate. When the protein skimmer has low efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created might be insufficient and can trigger cyano .
- Use of Aminos which actually feed them.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the cause of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will act as a breeding ground for red slime .
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is a welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano. Slow water moivement combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the two level scoops. I personally never remove my skimmer, just remove my carbon. I have seen mixed reviews on doing this.

I suggest moving forward with the water change and try siphoning the cyano off the rocks. Repeat the chemiclean process again.

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the two level scoops. I personally never remove my skimmer, just remove my carbon. I have seen mixed reviews on doing this.

I suggest moving forward with the water change and try siphoning the cyano off the rocks. Repeat the chemiclean process again.
Sounds good thanks going too change my water tomorrow and try again thanks for the help

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a couple doses for mine as well. Blue leg hermits were the thing that ate it the best for me.

What's your stocking in the tank?

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a couple doses for mine as well. Blue leg hermits were the thing that ate it the best for me.

What's your stocking in the tank?
I have two clownfish royal gramma and a cherub angel 4 mushrooms and three red legged hermits don't think I could add any more hermits correct? My bioload is already pretty big

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I used chemiclean on what I thought was cyano but when it never worked I realized it was dinos.
this is what i was thinking also! on cyano, there should be clear results from using chemyclean, might not be 100% turnaround but definetly should of being way less cyano.

Dave101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change then few days do another small water change. When doing water changes try to get some of the cyano. I did this and it helped. Also get your parameters in check. This helps ALOT more than chemiclean

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that confirming it is cyano is appropriate. The antibiotic in chemiclean may not kill other organisms such as diatoms or dinos.

It would also not be impossible for folks to begin to get antibiotic resistant cyanobacteria.

" As compared to the first exposure to erythromycin, photosynthetic and antioxidant activities increased, while growth inhibition and oxidation stress decreased upon multiple exposures."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back