Chemistry tips

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a 7 year old 29 gal tank. So it's well established, and the readings are pretty consistent. Being an amateur at this, I know a few readings are outside of the desired parameters but I'm not sure if I should worry, or just increase water changes. Currently I do a 5 gal change every other week. Would a 2.5 gal change every week be better?

Any suggestions?

Temp 76.4
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
Phosphate .5
Salinity 1.27
Alkalinity 4.7
Calcium 430

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is low and your nitrates are high . Check again and make sure your testing equip is on par and if you still have the same readings take action and slowly raise your alk to at least 8 and your nitrates try to get between 10 and 15 ppm

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd shoot for 3-4 gallons each week.

Is this a Fowler or reef? 40ppm isn't horrible if Fowler but 15% changes each week should lower it in no time

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics? Are you seeing any problems?

If whatever is in the tank has been running smoothly for 7 years and you're new, the first advice you should follow is just whatever the previous owner suggested to you.

If you decide to change anything based on testing, first be confident that your measurement/test of whatever you want to change is actually accurate. (Have a reputable saltwater fish store test same water sample that you test and see how closely they match is one thought)

OP
OP
Conzo427

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is low and your nitrates are high . Check again and make sure your testing equip is on par and if you still have the same readings take action and slowly raise your alk to at least 8 and your nitrates try to get between 10 and 15 ppm
I have been consistently getting these readings since I acquired the tank about 6 months ago. I was told that doing bigger or more frequent water changes would decrease nitrates and increase alkalinity, does that sound right? If not, any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

OP
OP
Conzo427

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd shoot for 3-4 gallons each week.

Is this a Fowler or reef? 40ppm isn't horrible if Fowler but 15% changes each week should lower it in no time
We have both in the tank. 15% of 29 gal is 4.35 gals. I have been doing that every two weeks.

What I'm hearing is that I need to stop being lazy and do more water changes, huh?

OP
OP
Conzo427

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics? Are you seeing any problems?

If whatever is in the tank has been running smoothly for 7 years and you're new, the first advice you should follow is just whatever the previous owner suggested to you.

If you decide to change anything based on testing, first be confident that your measurement/test of whatever you want to change is actually accurate. (Have a reputable saltwater fish store test same water sample that you test and see how closely they match is one thought)
All of the coral looks great with the exception of this montipora. (it's tricky to see in the picture. It has been getting progressively whiter over time. I moved it closer to the bottom of the tank and have been incrementally reducing the lights.

The previous owner gave me all bad info and didn't have any coral, just two aggressive Clown fish. They hadn't tested the water in over a year. I don't have a lot of faith in their knowledge.

That is a great idea to bring the water in for a confirmation test. I didn't consider that as an option. I'll check it out!

Attachments

• 20220424_184921.jpg
    20220424_184921.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 22

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have both in the tank. 15% of 29 gal is 4.35 gals. I have been doing that every two weeks.

What I'm hearing is that I need to stop being lazy and do more water changes, huh?
You'll get a lot of different opinions on how to keep parameters in check, but what better way than to just do frequent water changes? No better way than to remove the bad and replenish what needs to be there.
Again, I would do 15% every week until everything is stabilized where you want it and then consider dropping back to every other week.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the tests are not so accurate. I find it hard to believe your alk is consistently that low if you do any water changes at all. But if everything looks good why change? This is what we call chasing numbers and it's a bad habit that lots of people pick up when they are new. Looking at a nice tank and then panicking because one of their parameters appears to be outside the forum-approved range. Visuals of the tank should supercede any hobbyist test kit.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the tests are not so accurate. I find it hard to believe your alk is consistently that low if you do any water changes at all. But if everything looks good why change? This is what we call chasing numbers and it's a bad habit that lots of people pick up when they are new. Looking at a nice tank and then panicking because one of their parameters appears to be outside the forum-approved range. Visuals of the tank should supercede any hobbyist test kit.
Yes and no, ignoring numbers is a good way to let one creep out of control. Certainly every number doesn't need to be ideal, but when you see one drastically above or below where it should be, you should double check your test kits and if you still get that reading then you need to react before it gets too far out of band and causes major issues.

OP
OP
Conzo427

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've heard the same thing. My hopes was to change those two Parameters and hopefully maintain that at the same consistency that I have now. Everything looks great with the exception of the montipora. See comment with image below.

I am going to get the water tested at an aquarium shop to verify my tests are accurate.

I'm thinking that i simply haven't been doing large enough/frequent enough water changes.

Thank you for the suggestions!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've heard the same thing. My hopes was to change those two Parameters and hopefully maintain that at the same consistency that I have now. Everything looks great with the exception of the montipora. See comment with image below.

I am going to get the water tested at an aquarium shop to verify my tests are accurate.

I'm thinking that i simply haven't been doing large enough/frequent enough water changes.

Of everything is good except one coral, water chemistry is usually not the problem. Montipora can be finicky and as you said you moved it lower so maybe that will help if light was too much. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently acquired a 7 year old 29 gal tank. So it's well established, and the readings are pretty consistent. Being an amateur at this, I know a few readings are outside of the desired parameters but I'm not sure if I should worry, or just increase water changes. Currently I do a 5 gal change every other week. Would a 2.5 gal change every week be better?

Any suggestions?

Temp 76.4
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
Phosphate .5
Salinity 1.27
Alkalinity 4.7
Calcium 430
Im suspecting false results. What test kits are you using and did you test right after a water change?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Assure the store you go to does Not use api kits or you may get similar results.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been consistently getting these readings since I acquired the tank about 6 months ago. I was told that doing bigger or more frequent water changes would decrease nitrates and increase alkalinity, does that sound right? If not, any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
Yes you can but first check to make sure your test results are more correct like vetteguy 53081 said and then if you still need to you can dose alk and water changes 5-10 % weekly and cutting back on your overfeeding feeding will lower your nitrates . You also need to lower your phosphates which you can either run some GFO or rowaphos in the filter

OP
OP
Conzo427

Conzo427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can but first check to make sure your test results are more correct like vetteguy 53081 said and then if you still need to you can dose alk and water changes 5-10 % weekly and cutting back on your overfeeding feeding will lower your nitrates . You also need to lower your phosphates which you can either run some GFO or rowaphos in the filter
I looked into those two options and it calls for a filter type that I don't have, do you suppose I can put it in the bottom of my protein skimmer?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into those two options and it calls for a filter type that I don't have, do you suppose I can put it in the bottom of my protein skimmer?

You can use GFO or large particle aluminum oxide (kent phosphate sponge or Phosguard) in a mesh bag in a sump or elsewhere, its just not especially efficient.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 184 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back