Chemistry

Kingair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined the hobby 6 months ago. Just started to add coral. My nitrates are between 0 and 5 my calcium is 450 PPM my alkalinity is 8.4 my magnesium is at 1600 if that is too high and if so how do I lower it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Joined the hobby 6 months ago. Just started to add coral. My nitrates are between 0 and 5 my calcium is 450 PPM my alkalinity is 8.4 my magnesium is at 1600 if that is too high and if so how do I lower it
Mag high- you want 1300 range
Large water change and no addition of mag will help lower

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing inaccuracies in magnesium tests are pretty common, so there is a chance that it isn't as high as you think. What test kit are you using, is it red sea?

I agree that 1600 is a little high, but it isn't anything to be immediately concerned about IMO. If I were you I would just let it drop on its own over time, but if you are dosing magnesium then obviously stop for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I takes a ton of product to get it up that high.
I’d do nothing at this time, the levels are fine, always work towards smallest flux.
Just keep testing and see where it goes…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kingair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag high- you want 1300 range
Large water change and no addition of mag will help lower
I don't add any mag. What causes it to raise
Testing inaccuracies in magnesium tests are pretty common, so there is a chance that it isn't as high as you think. What test kit are you using, is it red sea?

I agree that 1600 is a little high, but it isn't anything to be immediately concerned about IMO. If I were you I would just let it drop on its own over time, but if you are dosing magnesium then obviously stop for now.
Red reef i believe

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red reef i believe
There isn't a test kit called red reef that I am aware of so I'll assume the test kit was red sea. They're known for testing on the high side of magnesium. I wouldn't worry about your magnesium levels.

My tank used to regularly test in the mid 1500's and it has never caused an issue in my tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kingair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a test kit called red reef that I am aware of so I'll assume the test kit was red sea. They're known for testing on the high side of magnesium. I wouldn't worry about your magnesium levels.

My tank used to regularly test in the mid 1500's and it has never caused an issue in my tank.
Thats it. Sounds good thanks

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red Sea salt may have a higher mag content BUT assuming salt may be issue, take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use api test kits and see what reading they come up with. And to compare with yours

Upvote 0

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it 0, or is it 5.

If you don't know, don't get coral.

Introducing coral to 0 nutrient tanks is 100% guarantee of problems.

Also, massive water changes at this point will bottom out nutrients and cause more problems. Really wish people giving this advice would think for s second.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back