Chemists: Pellets Containing Calcium Phosphate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example:

“Ionic product (IP) of calcium phosphate is calculated at some stations around Andaman Island. The depthwise variations of the ionic product of calcium phosphate seem to follow a normal trend with maximum saturation value between 100 to 200 m. Using apparent solubility product of 4 x 10/20 C given by Kester and Pytocowicz. The maximum percentage saturation works out to be 67, 65, 95, and 97 respectively towards west, east, north and south. ”

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more complicated than that. Most phosphate in seawater at pH 8.2 is not PO4 - - - and doesn’t get counted in the ksp.

Also, ion pairing lowers the free phosphate a lot and lowers free calcium a bit.
I found a bottle of calcium phosphate from Loudwolf bought years ago when this subject came up on another big forum. I will probably test the solubility this coming Monday.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure as to the importance of this information for this discussion, but here is more of a breakdown of ingredients.
1685464755556.png

1685464807842.png

I don't know enough about the phosphorous or calcium phosphate to be of assistance. All I can do is provide you all with this level of transparency and let the experts break it down. I can tell you that any food you put in the tank will have phosphorous. It's kind of important to all living things.

Best,
Chad

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a bottle of calcium phosphate from Loudwolf bought years ago when this subject came up on another big forum. I will probably test the solubility this coming Monday.

And the results are? lol

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the results are? lol
$#@%%&!

Loudwolf Ca3(PO4)2 99% gave me a solubility of 300 mg / L. That is at least 10x higher than expected. I tried rinsing the solid 3X to remove very soluble PO4 contaminants but still getting high PO4 readings. I was thinking of comparing solubility of Loudwolf in RO vs Instant Ocean to confirm there is something odd with Loudwolf material. Any ideas how to unravel this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is not crystalline, but amorphous:

Amorphous Calcium Phosphate​

Amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP) is the first solid phase precipitated after the rapid mixing of aqueous solutions containing Ca2+ and PO3− ions

(I think the po3- is a typo of po4—)

Amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP) has high solubility, facilitated by its amorphous structure, the hydrated layer and defects. In particular, the lack of periodic long-range order in ACP allows formation of structural defects thus increasing both rates of solubility and resorption leading to improved bioactivity [6].

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is not crystalline, but amorphous:

Amorphous Calcium Phosphate​

Amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP) is the first solid phase precipitated after the rapid mixing of aqueous solutions containing Ca2+ and PO3− ions

(I think the po3- is a typo of po4—)

Amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP) has high solubility, facilitated by its amorphous structure, the hydrated layer and defects. In particular, the lack of periodic long-range order in ACP allows formation of structural defects thus increasing both rates of solubility and resorption leading to improved bioactivity [6].

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I was thinking precipitating an insoluble phosphate salt might occlude a soluble phosphate but forgot that such precipitations can produce amorphous solid.

Now I am wondering whether the calcium phosphate used in formulating the Op’s fish food pellets is amorphous.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back