Do coral snow plus interfere with chimestry other than phosphate?

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry if I’m in the wrong forum

I want to understand a bit more about KZ’s coral snow plus product in terms of chemistry shifts it might cause

I’m curious about KZ’s coral snow plus for phosphate control (combined with other methods) and I saw that the DIY version of coral snow contains calcium carbonate.

So I wanted to know if the KZ’s product raises calcium levels of any other element?

For the phosphate reduction, does it reduce the phosphate straight forward from the water column or does it only help binding tiny detritus particles into larger masses so it's easier for mechanical filtration to remove and prevent phosphate from rising?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using particulate calcium carbonate in any form does not boost calcium or alkalinity (despite some manufacturer claims otherwise) since it cannot dissolve in normal seawater, but it can lead to false high readings for both alk and calcium if the particles are still in the water when a sample is taken and particles get into the test. Those particles can dissolve in the acidic medium of the tests, and will then get counted as having been in the water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using particulate calcium carbonate in any form does not boost calcium or alkalinity (despite some manufacturer claims otherwise) since it cannot dissolve in normal seawater, but it can lead to false high readings for both alk and calcium if the particles are still in the water when a sample is taken and particles get into the test. Those particles can dissolve in the acidic medium of the tests, and will then get counted as having been in the water.
Thanks. And for accurate testing, how long these particles will stay in the water? Do they come out with mechanical filtration or they will build up “forever”? since 10% water change will only remove 10% of the dose

Upvote 0

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sorry if I’m in the wrong forum

I want to understand a bit more about KZ’s coral snow plus product in terms of chemistry shifts it might cause

I’m curious about KZ’s coral snow plus for phosphate control (combined with other methods) and I saw that the DIY version of coral snow contains calcium carbonate.

So I wanted to know if the KZ’s product raises calcium levels of any other element?

For the phosphate reduction, does it reduce the phosphate straight forward from the water column or does it only help binding tiny detritus particles into larger masses so it's easier for mechanical filtration to remove and prevent phosphate from rising?
I've personally stopped using DIY coral snow as it was giving tank elevated alk readings, which logic shows is a false reading but it triggered my OCD enough to stop dosing it.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. And for accurate testing, how long these particles will stay in the water? Do they come out with mechanical filtration or they will build up “forever”? since 10% water change will only remove 10% of the dose

I've not ever tried to track them, or seen anyone else do so,, but I expect the answer relates strongly to particle size and the various filtration schemes used by folks.

My guess is not more than a few days since that's how fast a milky tank scenario seems to clear after a limewater overdose.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back