ChickenHawks Reefer 350 Build

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020 has been a crazy year for all of us and with that, I believe it is important to invest in the things that bring us joy and an outlet for creativity and passion. That being said, my husband and I have decided it is about time to jump back into the wonderful hobby of reefing!
A little background about myself.. in 2013 I was given a bunch of bits and pieces of a salt water tank by a family member who had upgraded his tank. I fell in love with the idea of being able to crate something so beautiful and full of life. As most of us do, I dove into the depths of the internet to find out just how exactly to do such a thing. There was so much information to sift through, but in the end I jumped right in and started all of the trials and errors that we go through. It was great. I had a 29 gal reef that stayed up for 3 years and in that time I got my boyfriend, now husband, hooked. I helped him start a 10 gal nano reef which we kept up for over a year. We got married and then set out to thru hike the Appalachian Trail, where we spent just over 5 months hiking up the east coast. This is where my name “Chicken Hawk” comes from. My husband is Dregs. When we got back, we both had the itch for reefing again. We set up a 55 gal that didn’t last super long as we decided to move to Colorado. It’s been 4 years settling down here, but now we have a house and some stability and when you know it’s time, then it’s time. So for Christmas, my wonderful husband suggests that he get me my dream tank and support me through this journey. He is highly involved in this process with me as we work well as a team, but I still get the final say on the tank as it is my gift ; )
So here we are, just starting 2021, and man is there more clear and concise information out there than when I started. I drive for a living and so I have had much time to listen to BRS TV Podcast, amongst other informational sources. It’s been so much fun relearning about reefing. We ordered a Red Sea Reefer 350 from a shop in Denver and drove the 2 1/2 hrs to pick it up. We live in nowhere, so nothing is close or easy to do. Just him and I had to carry the big box of tank from our car into the house during a snow storm in the dark and I thought my arms would be ripped off. Through the grace of God, I did not drop it and we made it in! Over the next days, we got the stand built and the tank up. I set up an area to make my aquascape on our kitchen table and configured the rocks in numerous ways over the course of a week ( worth the space sacrifice). What I ended up with was an aquascape that has many visible “hiding spaces” for the fish, rock only as high as about half way up for sps growth, tunnels that allow for good water circulation, space enough for a siphon around all sides and between the two rock structures, and some quarks that make me happy such as a small balcony that I hope a future fish will perch in nicely one day. I glued it all together with some extra thick super glue and insta-set, let it dry for a day, rinsed it off and placed it in the tank. Then I added Carib Sea Special grade sand and BAM! Beautiful
I loaded up on BRS’s two part and magnesium, got all the initial test kits, set up our 5 stage ro/di system, got some Brightwell Neo Marine salt, 2 ice cap gyro powerheads, titanium heater, multiple kinds of fish food, and a big ol UV sterilizer.
some issues that need resolving before adding water include adding supports under the house as the beams run horizontally and there is a weird vent covered by carpet apparently directly under the stand. We will need to disconnect that vent so that the temperature of the tank isn’t affected when our heat comes on.
Sorry for the long post, future posts will be shorter with updates. Next to come is some RedSea LED90s. Keep you posted,
Chicken Hawk

38479C94-4448-4CBD-BF0B-ACA0EAA7B668.jpeg
F7C259AA-0196-45D7-A1AA-6E218BD19BA6.jpeg
50732662-6E4F-4370-BD6D-9AD533F1C7B8.jpeg
7B6FF0B2-EC94-49A0-B711-C4A66B29FDEE.jpeg
1F3B0DE6-624B-44E6-BC14-E3AA47CD0C7C.jpeg
B4FC7B61-85D7-4178-8634-B9E857A16121.jpeg
5CBA4346-8AB9-4017-ACA2-778E748BC74F.jpeg
B9A4532C-6BBA-4112-8489-809DD8DDE47E.jpeg
669A9822-0F0D-4D0F-B618-87EE6205A34B.jpeg
BF58166E-E0D9-431D-A186-E807DD7D931B.jpeg
E14026AB-496C-4562-BF75-A1734815A1B1.jpeg 1F2BFDFD-56DF-46CE-9187-AFC892D95CD9.jpeg

Last edited:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby!!! Dang, that is one awesome aquascape. I love how you got everything to fit so smoothly together, especially with some big pieces!

Looking forward to following along. Btw, I have the ReefLED 90s and man are they powerful. Recommend them, but be prepared for occasional connectivity issues. Not a dealbreaker at all.

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby!!! Dang, that is one awesome aquascape. I love how you got everything to fit so smoothly together, especially with some big pieces!

Looking forward to following along. Btw, I have the ReefLED 90s and man are they powerful. Recommend them, but be prepared for occasional connectivity issues. Not a dealbreaker at all.
Thank you! I just picked up the lights and are going to set them up this weekend! I’ve heard from others there are some connectivity issues sometimes, but I think it won’t be too much of a bother. Thanks for the support!

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend Dregs and I were able to resolve some issues that were holding us back from starting to add water. We built supports in our crawl space for the floors as the tank sits on only two beams horizontally and removed a strange vent that was covered by carpet directly under the tank. Next step is to finish plumbing, re level the tank and add water! Oh, and we installed our two RedSea LED90s! ( lights only running white for pictures)
66B1B0FE-E86E-4C94-BAB1-8EB816881630.jpeg
02141CD2-8EBC-40A6-B722-975AC58A2D1B.jpeg
696B56A2-58BE-4C2A-80A1-4F8A1892F962.jpeg

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful looking lights, very nice rockscape too!

When are you going to add water and how are you going to start the tank cycling process?

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When are you going to add water and how are you going to start the tank cycling process?
Thank you!
I’m going to start adding water this week. I plan on going fishless for about a month, probably ghost feeding a little and adding microbactor 7 to get it started. The tank is in a room that gets a good deal of indirect light, so I’m gonna cover the tank with some black felt during the day to keep algae growth at bay. Once ammonia is at 0, I’ll add a fish or two. I was eyeing some naked clowns, but we’ll see what is available when the time comes. I plan on slowly bringing in some fish with jobs like a yellow eye kole tang and lawnmower blenny, as the bacteria stabilizes. Once there are fish in, I also want to get some chato for the fuge and some pods to start populating the rocks.

MrBubble47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I’m going to start adding water this week. I plan on going fishless for about a month, probably ghost feeding a little and adding microbactor 7 to get it started. The tank is in a room that gets a good deal of indirect light, so I’m gonna cover the tank with some black felt during the day to keep algae growth at bay. Once ammonia is at 0, I’ll add a fish or two. I was eyeing some naked clowns, but we’ll see what is available when the time comes. I plan on slowly bringing in some fish with jobs like a yellow eye kole tang and lawnmower blenny, as the bacteria stabilizes. Once there are fish in, I also want to get some chato for the fuge and some pods to start populating the rocks.
That sounds like a great plan! What salt are you going to use?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the standard Reefer 350 stand now comes with leveling feet. I thought leveling feet were only going to be available on the XL models.

sw34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unaware of the previous versions of the standard 350, but I am grateful for the leveling feet for sure!
I’m unaware of the previous versions of the standard 350, but I am grateful for the leveling feet for sure!

Following along as well, I just picked up my Reefer 350 on Sunday. I can confirm mine has leveling feet as well and VERY happy it does!

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
I’m going to start adding water this week. I plan on going fishless for about a month and adding microbactor 7 to get it started. The tank is in a room that gets a good deal of indirect light, so I’m gonna cover the tank with some black felt during the day to keep algae growth at bay. Once ammonia is at 0, I’ll add a fish or two. I was eyeing some naked clowns, but we’ll see what is available when the time comes. I plan on slowly bringing in some fish with jobs like a yellow eye kole tang and lawnmower blenny, as the bacteria stabilizes. Once there are fish in, I also want to get some chato for the fuge and some pods to start populating the rocks.

Sorry, this was waiting to be posted from like a week ago... forgot to press the post button :oops:

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo towards the end of last week I decided I wanted to quarantine all my fish so that one day I can try to keep some more disease vulnerable fish. The speedy result being a 30 gal quarantine being set up, bacteria added, and ammonia monitored. I plan on following Humble Fish’s quarantine regiment with Copper Power and Prazipro. Over the long weekend I made the purchase of two clowns and a 2 inch foxface. I dosed API quick start and have been monitoring them. Three days in and so far, so good. I have started cycling the main tank and have covered the display with black felt to keep excess light from the room out. With luck and a good deal of monitoring, the fish will be alive and disease free when the tank is cycled.
the main tank is now fully plumbed with two return pumps, reef octopus classic skimmer, titanium heater with a Ranko controller, UV sterilizer, ATO, ups battery backup for gyres and will be adding the kessel grow light for chato. Wire cabinet is organized, though not everything is plugged in, and nearly ready to go!
I haven’t yet quite decided if inverts and corals will also be quarantined. I know that not doing so can lead to bringing disease into the tank, but it’s also a much bigger pain in the.. any solid recommendations are welcome... I do however, plan on at the very least removing coral plugs when possible, dipping in Revive, and being picky about where I’m getting corals from. I will not be transferring any of the water that come along with new creatures and will be running a uv sterilizer aimed at diseases rather than algae. Still, anyone with experience here is more than welcome to chime in. Here are some pics from my MLK weekend.
D4BFF31F-327A-41A7-89DE-2A047ED6549E.jpeg
7809E74F-72FC-4212-AD31-6C089B456F2A.jpeg
7A40BCA9-AC56-494F-B81A-38853B1197BD.jpeg
5F67D43F-1C30-4F88-A4E0-B0F9C27696D4.jpeg
C42D85A5-F064-43B3-9BED-65C963DE3AA3.jpeg
38DAC700-9CB7-4376-84DF-07BC0D654557.jpeg
F4342498-040E-4997-A142-6D5DD1A0FE22.jpeg

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update! What is your tolerance for disease? If it’s zero, everything wet needs to be quarantined. It’s really disheartening to quarantine your fish and then introduce disease via corals or inverts. Some things like ich are manageable but if velvet invites itself, it’s a major headache and scrambling event (keep a spare tank at all times!).

I try my best to run a tight ship, and I quarantine everything wet using humblefish’s protocols. I certainly hope nothing has slipped in, but everything looks healthy and it’s great not to worry.

So... my recommendation is to quarantine everything. You have a couple of options. You can buy all your corals and inverts right now, and quarantine them 76 days in your display before you add fish. The risk here is introducing pests like aiptasia or worse into the tank as they are being quarantined. You can also setup a frag tank and quarantine your corals there, which is better but another tank / equipment. For fish, you can quarantine yourself, or get from a vendor that quarantines them for you. A bit more expensive but considering all the saltwater, extra tank, and work involved, it made sense to me. Check out this link below for an option.

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update! What is your tolerance for disease? If it’s zero, everything wet needs to be quarantined. It’s really disheartening to quarantine your fish and then introduce disease via corals or inverts. Some things like ich are manageable but if velvet invites itself, it’s a major headache and scrambling event (keep a spare tank at all times!).

I try my best to run a tight ship, and I quarantine everything wet using humblefish’s protocols. I certainly hope nothing has slipped in, but everything looks healthy and it’s great not to worry.

So... my recommendation is to quarantine everything. You have a couple of options. You can buy all your corals and inverts right now, and quarantine them 76 days in your display before you add fish. The risk here is introducing pests like aiptasia or worse into the tank as they are being quarantined. You can also setup a frag tank and quarantine your corals there, which is better but another tank / equipment. For fish, you can quarantine yourself, or get from a vendor that quarantines them for you. A bit more expensive but considering all the saltwater, extra tank, and work involved, it made sense to me. Check out this link below for an option.

Hey, thanks!
I am planning on doing QT for all my fish and am leaning towards quarantining frags and inverts too now. The main tank does have a uv sterilizer so there will be additional disease management incase anything gets through qt. I really want to keep a powder blue eventually, so I want to get it right from the beginning. Any recommendations for sources on quarantining inverts and coral? I couldn’t find it on Humblefish, but I’m sure it’s there somewhere...

OP
OP
C

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
The tank is cycling! Ammonia and nitrites are present but I’m still waiting for those nitrates. All the fish in QT are doing well so far. The two clowns have white stringy poop so they are being treated with general cure and focus, along with the foxface that is in with them. Everyone is eating well and staying active. Copper Power has just reached 2.5 and will continue to hold it there for 30 days. I also went ahead and set up a second QT... now I have a Midas Blenny, one of my favorite fish. It’s treatments are going to start soon. I still plan on only introducing one or two fish at a time to the main display when they are all done with qt as to not overload the tank with nutrients. This waiting period is tough, I can’t wait to have fish in the tank! But I can be patient... can’t you tell...
B98B0BE3-4EE4-424B-BC29-C133B964C230.jpeg
9BD669C8-2C8A-4DA8-949E-240CEAE8CA01.jpeg
17600EF5-7FCB-4A9D-A5B4-80369D686EA9.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back