Chili Coral Care

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Newer entry into the realm of saltwater tanks and I happened to get a hitchhiker chili coral in on a zoa/ricordia/gsp rock. I have moved him to an upside down location and have some coralific delite ready to go, but as I was not intending on getting an NPS anytime soon, I would appreciate any tips on care of this little guy.

Thanks!
IMG_2062.JPG

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Chilli will not live long in a new set up. Trade it with someone that has a mature system. I have been in the hobby for 48 years. I have moderate success for 1 year now. Chili is in my 25 year old mud/cryptic sponge refugium.

Unless you are ready to set up continuous live food drip, you will not succeed with this NPS.

Where did you get the live rock that Chili came in on? I want some of that rock.

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Chilli will not live long in a new set up. Trade it with someone that has a mature system. I have been in the hobby for 48 years. I have moderate success for 1 year now. Chili is in my 25 year old mud/cryptic sponge refugium.

Unless you are ready to set up continuous live food drip, you will not succeed with this NPS.

Where did you get the live rock that Chili came in on? I want some of that rock.
I’d rather not kill him, so it is definitely a good thought. I just picked up a zoa rock from the LFS in south Texas and I’m thinking they didn’t know he was on there either. He was basically the same color as the rock and squished way down under the lights. I’ll see if anyone in the area is interested in a swap.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather not kill him, so it is definitely a good thought. I just picked up a zoa rock from the LFS in south Texas and I’m thinking they didn’t know he was on there either. He was basically the same color as the rock and squished way down under the lights. I’ll see if anyone in the area is interested in a swap.

I looked to see where Edinburg, Tx was. South Texas is an understatement. You are south of parts of Mexico.

Good fortune on your new tank. It is a fascinating hobby.

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked to see where Edinburg, Tx was. South Texas is an understatement. You are south of parts of Mexico.

Good fortune on your new tank. It is a fascinating hobby.
It’s true, we’re about as far south as you can get without crossing the border. Thankfully they’ve got checkpoints so you can’t (easily) do it on accident.

Thanks for the wishes! Entering the first diatom bloom I believe so it’s about to get ugly.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back