Sun Coral colonies not opening?

Eternal_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 29 gallon with a 10 gallon sump that is mainly for NPS corals. I do have some easy LPS and gorgonians in the tank as well but most of the corals are NPS sea fans and sun corals. I have had the smaller colony of yellow sun coral for around 2 months and a larger colony with yellow and orange mixed together for 4 days. I have unfortunately lost 2 heads on the smaller colony and since day one the polyps on both corals have looked extremely deformed. The polyps look like they are pinching right before the mouth and the polyps do not open all of the way. It is incredibly frustrating because I have been feeding it several times throughout the night and all of my other NPS gorgonians are all open and happy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Parameters:
Nitrate: 3ppm
Phosphate: 0.4ppm (It is high because of the powder food I am feeding the system)
Calcium: 420ppm
dKH: 9
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.2 F

I use different foods throughout the day and feed the system 2-3 times.
Feeding:
Mysis Shrimp
Cyclops
Reef Plankton
Baby Brine Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
TDO Pellets (x-small and b2)
Fish Eggs

I also use AB+, MarineSnow, Reef Snow, ZooPlantos-S, Oyster feast, Phyto feast, and occasionally reef roids.
1709695537021.jpeg

1709695581339.jpeg

1709695626361.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow that are placed in the light will not show any polyps before my evening feed. The ones sitting in caves have their polyps out for really all time. I have notice that they can, sometimes, be grumby and not show any polyps for a week or so. Newly introduced colonies can be "grumpy" for a month or so. It seems also that the do not like the proximity of a pump

I feed exclusive with frozen freshwater cyclops and frozen adult artemia

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back